Prev: [OT] Signal Loss Next: Re: Fighters and Defense

Re: TOE (was Cheese factor)

From: "Alan and Carmel Brain" <aebrain@d...>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 18:16:41 +1000
Subject: Re: TOE (was Cheese factor)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Shawn M Mininger" <smininger@yahoo.com>
To: <gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, April 04, 2001 3:02 AM
Subject: RE: Cheese factor

> OK, I know we have a lot of folks here from around the
> world, so please pipe up with how your country does
> these things.

Here's the organisation that Oz used in the 70's, which
is when I last wore cammo gear:

A Squad consists of 3 sections + Command.
1 LMG Section of 2
1 Rifle Section of 4
1 Scout Section of 2, often merged with Command when
in contact with the enemy.

Command would be a Corporal, and usually a radio operator.
There'd be a  LCpl in each of the 3 other sections.

Tactics were to pin enemy with MG, while Rifle group
manoeuvred round flank to give enfilade. Command/Scout
attached to either MG or Rifle as situation dictated. Against
heavy opposition, the MG and Rifles would form the base of
fire, while the scouts infiltrated round the flank or found
a path of retreat, as needed.
Against mediocre opposition, the life of a scout was the most dangerous.
Against competent opposition, it was the safest, with radio operator and
command (in that order) being the most hazardous.
The LMG was an M60, these days would be a SAW. The scouts
often had M16s or (sometimes silenced) SMGs, the rest
SLRs (near equivt of M14). These days everyone has an AusSteyr.

A Platoon is 3 Squads, plus command, a Lt and Sergeant.

A Company is 3 platoons, plus sometimes a Heavy Weapons Platoon,
who had AT gear (Carl Gustav), extra MGs etc.

A Batallion is 3 Companies, plus a Heavy Weapons Company,
with 81mm Mortars etc. there'd usually be some attachments,
such as transport elements, engineers, recon etc.

3-4 Batallions would be in a Brigade, but organisations above Batallion
would normally be a Task Force whose composition would depend
on the job to be done. A Task Force might include an armour company,
an armoured cav company, engineer company, signals, bridging,
2 leg Infantry batallions, and 3 Artillery batteries, plus aviation. If
operating way behind enemy lines, expect a large SAS component and
much transport too, as there'd be no line of supply as such.

Prev: [OT] Signal Loss Next: Re: Fighters and Defense