Prev: Re: Kh'iff Next: RE: Orders of Battle (was cheese)

RE: Cheese factor

From: "Chris Downes-Ward" <cdownes-ward@9...>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 08:58:58 +0100
Subject: RE: Cheese factor

IIRC the post psychological phrase is "primary groups"
> b.   You need enough guys in a fire team to look after each other and
> cover all directions.
> c.   You need to have enough subunits that your unit commander has
> some maneuver choices--this is why most units have 3-5 subunits
> instead of 2.
> d.   On the other hand, you need few enough units that your commander
> can keep track of them--this is why most units have 3-5 subunits
> instead of 8-10, most people can't keep track of more than 4-5 things
> at a time,
>
> Therefore you will have 3-4 soldiers to a team, two or three teams to
> a squad, three to five squads in a platoon, etc.  Higher units are
> usually triangular or square, ie three or four major subunits, plus
> attached support.

At home I have a book called "changing orders" which surveys the TOE's
of
several nations (USA, West/East Germany, UK, Japan, Russia, France,
India,
Israel at a couple others) from 1945 to 1995 mainly at the battalion and
brigade
levels and goes into things like "command span" and tries to tackle
questions
like "why did anyone think that the pentatomic division was a good
idea?" or
"just how is a Russian regimental commander supposed to keep track of
all
the
units that were supposed to report to him?" IIRC 4 battalions, a recon
company,
some artillery, some engineers ... about 7 - 8 units with a very small
staff.
There is a reason that nearly every nation on the planet has 4 tanks in
platoon.

Oh and just to confuse things - in British usage some units which other
people would
call Battalions get called regiments such as Armour or Recon.

Prev: Re: Kh'iff Next: RE: Orders of Battle (was cheese)