Prev: Re: 54mm FMASk, was Re: Just a thought Next: RE: Cheese factor

Re: Fighters and Defense

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 18:15:24 +0200
Subject: Re: Fighters and Defense

Bell, Brian K (Contractor) wrote:

>Would you explain this?
>
>Opponent moves a group of fighters in to range of ship. Interceptor
moves >to dogfight it. 2-5 other groups move into range of ship.
Dogfight kills some
>on each side. 2-5 other fighter groups attack ship.

Except that a single interceptor squadron can dogfight multiple enemy
squadrons simultaneously, unless the enemy either sacrifices one of his
own squadrons by initiating a dogfight or spreads his fighters out
enough that a single squadron can't contact at least 2 of his
squadrons.

Multiple-group dogfights against interceptors are particularly lethal
if the interceptors win initiative, since they then get to fire before
the opposing fighters... and at an average ~7 kills for an undamaged
interceptor squadron, it can ravage 2-3 opponent squadrons quite badly.
A squadron which has lost 2-3 fighters isn't very dangerous to ships if
you use the fighter morale rules.

So, while I wouldn't expect a single interceptor squadron to neutralize
*6* enemy squadrons (I've seen it happen, but not too often), taking
out enough fighters from 3 enemy squadrons to give them a significant
chance of failing their morale checks *in a single attack* is fairly
common IME.

Regards,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Re: 54mm FMASk, was Re: Just a thought Next: RE: Cheese factor