Prev: Re: [FT] UNSC (emotional rant) Next: RE: Cheese factor

RE: Kh'iff

From: "Chris Downes-Ward" <cdownes-ward@9...>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 09:39:31 +0100
Subject: RE: Kh'iff

> I'll list some of the ideas I had, below. It's still in the 'random
> collection of ideas-stage', so I'm afraid it isn't very well
structured.

Likewise, despite the fact that I've being using Kh'iff ever since they
came
out which must be 10 or more years.
> I see the Kh'iff as a people of poor desert/plains nomads,
traditionally
> hunters, who drift in large packs across the plains they inhabit. They
> have little in the way of advanced technology, except for the gauss
rifles
> which prove to be of great help in hunting their tough-hided prey.
>
> They are deeply religious people, who cannot accept the violation of
their
> lands for (fill in whatever cause of conflict you like). After their
> protests went unheard, they picked up arms to defend what they see as
> _theirs_.
I had the same basic ideas about the Kh'iff - deeply religious, even
fanatical,
slightly lower technology than the human norm. In my alternative
(non-GZG)
background
the Kh'iff had a multi-system STL "empire" when contacted by humans, the
humans at
the time were going through an "aggressive expansion" phase and soon
surrounded and
gobbled up the Kh'iff. The humans later split up into several different
groups and the
Kh'iff allied with one of these ("The Covenant of the Lord") however the
original Kh'iff
home world and about half their planets are controlled by the major
human
government
("The Terran Commonwealth"). This means that the Covenant are sponsoring
"Free Kh'iff"
forces against the Commonwealth. I.e. Kh'iff can turn up as freedom
fighters/terrorist or
as large scale military forces. There are even some Kh'iff who have
thrown
in with the
Commonwealth (Kh'iff vs. Kh'iff).

> - - Pack mentality
>
> The Kh'iff evolved from a canine stock, with very much of a pack-like
> social structure. Kh'iff are not great individualists, much preferring
> do things with their pack.
H'mm to me they looked more like Aardvarks.
> The effect of this pack mentality is that Kh'iff squads test as one
> motivation level lower than normal, when they cannot see any other
Kh'iff
> squads (of their own pack/platoon??).
I didn't do this as I thought that the fanaticism would overcome this,
even
to the extent of making Kh'iff more likely to rush forward (Starting at
confident).
I had not really given much thought to other stuff, I tend to design
Kh'iff
vehicles as having basic systems for everything unless it's a Covenant
sponsored
force.

Chris Downes-Ward

Prev: Re: [FT] UNSC (emotional rant) Next: RE: Cheese factor