Prev: RE: Infantry mounting in 6mm Next: Re: [FT] (LONG) The Balance of Power -- Fighters and a Defense

RE: Cheese factor

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 20:35:51 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: RE: Cheese factor

> I was using a Company as follows:
> 1 Command Squad (not Platoon) of 4
> 3 Rifle Platoons
>   Platoon = 2 squads of 4
> 1 PA Platoon
>   PA Platoon = 1 squad of 6

Hack, spit!  A platoon has to (by definition) have
multiple squads.  And 4 men isn't a squad, it's a fire
team (now, if these are SAS, then this is different
story--but it always is with elite forces).  By my
count you've 34 bodies.  That's a goddamn platoon in
any army in the world.	Rename your platoons to
squads.  Rename your squads to fireteams.  And call
the goddamn thing a platoon.

> I was thinking, somewhat, of what I could field with
> the figures I
> purchased. I could field a company of:
> 1 Command Platoon of 8
> 3 Rifle Platoons of 8
> 2 PA Squad of 4
> 1 PA Command Squad of 4

That's still not a goddamn company.  It's now a
reinforced platoon.

> My company has 44 figures, yours has 136 figures.
> Another reason why terms
> like "company" or "squad" need further investigation
> for balancing.

Further investigation?	If you'd just look the bloody
term up in a dictionary you wouldn't have this
problem.

> Using your figures I would be able to
> field...what...A mixed Platoon?

YES.  That's what you've got.

"Platoon" has a specific meaning to wargamers and to
soldiers.  If I say "platoon" then what I mean is
"unit between 20 and 50 men, composed of 3-5 squads
and led by junior officer or senior NCO".  If you
define platoon as "whatever I feel like putting on the
board and getting extra activations for" you are going
to piss people off and look ignorant[1].

John
[1]Or stupid.  Hard to tell from one instance.

http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

Prev: RE: Infantry mounting in 6mm Next: Re: [FT] (LONG) The Balance of Power -- Fighters and a Defense