Prev: RE: Re: [CON] Norwescon Next: RE: When does skirmish scale becomes battle scale?

[FT] (LONG) The Balance of Power -- Fighters and a Defense

From: David Griffin <carbon_dragon@y...>
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2001 10:55:20 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [FT] (LONG) The Balance of Power -- Fighters and a Defense

In any wargame involving naval units (or space
units) there is a balance of power between
large and small units. This balance of power
involves among other things armor, shields
(where available), and the quality of defenses
against small units (missiles and fighters).

Can a small unit carry a weapon large enough
to affect a warship? Is shooting down such a
unit easy or difficult? If an effective enough
weapon can be carried by a small unit, how
many such hits will incapacitate or destroy
the larger ship?

We've all heard speculations of how ships
from two different SFgenres would interact.
How would the Battlestar Galactica come
out against the Enterprise? The clash wouldn't
be so much a clash of ships as concepts. The
BG could overwhelm the Enterprise with
fighters, but how effective would they be?
Perhaps they would whittle the shields down
while being agile enough to make themselves
difficult to destroy with the larger phasers on
the Federation ship. Or perhaps it would turn
out that the weapons the Vipers carried would
be largely ineffective against the shields of
the Federation ship. Perhaps the Enterprise
would sail on serenely and destroy the
Galactica with it's shipkilling weapons. The
fact is, we don't know because we don't know
where the balance of power would be.

We have grown up in an era where the airplane
is king. Yes we have sophisticated air defenses,
but the core of them are actually other aircraft.
Let's look at how a CVN group works today (you
real experts out there feel free to correct me -- I
was in the Air Force not the Navy).

The CVN sits in the middle of a large group of
distributed and specialized escorts. Some of
these escorts deal with submarines, but
unless there are some rule changes involving
cloaked ships in FT, let's forget about those
for now.

It's generally acknowledged that an attack on
a CVN battlegroup is most effective when it's
defenses are saturated and this is the
accepted tactic. One deluges the defenses
with massive waves of fighters and missiles,
some get through and deliver their weapons.

The first line of defense is of course the
aircraft. The Tomcats go up with their warloads
of 4 phoenix and 4 AA missiles (sparrow,
AMRAAM, sidewinder, whatever) and snipe
at the massive waves of fighters and missiles
with the phoenix. These interceptions take
place at up to 100 miles away from the carrier.
The Tomcats are themselves at a considerable
distance away from the carrier as they have to
be OUTSIDE the next layer of defense so that
they don't get shot down by their own side.

The survivors keep coming. The Tomcats and
the F18's now act as interceptors firing short
range dogfight AA missiles and guns. Some
of the missiles and aircraft get through this
ring of defense however if there are enough
of them.

Then Aegis and the various SAM's available
in the fleet go to work. At about 20 miles or so,
ships like the Ticonderoga and Arleigh Burke
with their vertical box launchers and other SAM
launchers on the cruisers and destroyers all
begin launching at the targets that Aegis and
the people running it feel are the most
dangerous targets. The SAMs account for
more of the attackers. By now the F14's and
F18's have turned away since they have to stay
out of CVBG missile range.

The survivors attack the ships, preferably the
high value ones. The last ditch defense is the
CIWS (close in weapon system, effectively
a radar controlled gatling gun). A few of the
survivors will be shot down by these weapons.
The rest? BOOM.

If enough survivors get through to cripple the
carrier (and the Aegis ships) the group is in
big trouble and the attack has been a success.

One can't envision a modern task force that
would consider the idea of building only
missile defenses around a battleship. It
wouldn't work because our missile defenses,
though very good, aren't up to repelling that
kind of massive attack without the range and
power available with a carrier air group. The
balance of power is with the airplane.

How does it work in Full Thrust? Well this is
a matter of opinion. I'll give you mine, but I
admit there are others. To me it looks as if
the PDS's are the equivalent of the last ditch
CIWS system. Fighters are of course fighters.
ADFC is kind of a weak Aegis system, though
all it's able to coordinate is CIWS systems.
What's missing is the shorter range SAM's
that are such a useful addition to the defenses
of the fleet. ADFC's are not prohibited from
firing on fighters flying overhead without
attacking, but that makes sense if they're
really CIWS type weapons.

Because of this fact, I think the balance of
power is more on the side of the fighter than
they should be in FT. To redress this, to give
ships what they should have to help defend
themselves (at least as well as we can today)
I recommend a new human space weapon
system. We'll call it the Small Unit Missile
System (SUMS).

SUMS costs the same as a salvo missile
launcher to install (3 for the launcher and 2
each for each reload). Point cost is 3xthe
mass of the weapons (as standard). The
symbol is a circle containing a salvo missile
symbol and the letter S, with a line to the
magazine.

Maximum range is 50". Since the objective is
to intercept them while they're out there, the
range has to be outside the range of 1
movement turn of a fighter. Missiles can be
targeted only against other missiles (MT or
salvo missiles) or fighters of any kind. 1D6
missiles will be on target. Each missile on
target destroys a single fighter (no rerolls).

Missiles are launched from the ship as a
single high thrust unit. When they get close,
they break apart into 6 highly agile AI
controlled missiles. Because this is true,
SUMS cannot be targetted at any target at
or below 6" (as measured after a fighter
completes movement). Because of their
agility, SUMS move after all fighter movement.
The target of a SUMS is at the discretion of
the targetting player and may be decided at the
time of intercept (the AI is programmed with
the player's preferences and is able to make
intelligent choices). Movement need not be
plotted.

Fighters (not missiles) can attempt to throw
off a missile salvo. To do this, they may jink
(move erratically). This subtracts 1 from the
number of fighters destroyed by the missile
salvo, but the fighter squadron may not attack
that turn AND it burns 1 CEF in the evasion.

There are extended range versions with a
range of 70". Mass is 3 per salvo and 3xmass
for point value. An ER SUMS is really only of
use on a very large board.

So what do you all think? Surely a system like
this is not out of the technological reach of the
particpants.

Prev: RE: Re: [CON] Norwescon Next: RE: When does skirmish scale becomes battle scale?