Prev: RE: WotD Laser Targeting Next: Re: Escort class vessels in line of battle

Re: Wargame Table Question

From: Bob Waller <cpbelt@a...>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 20:52:07 -0500
Subject: Re: Wargame Table Question

> I do know that I'm going to reinforce the table back from the edge,
creating a lip. This will let me hang baskets and such from it, for
storing things during the game. I'm wondering if anyone had other
suggestions for neat things to add to a table.

> As for size, the two 4' by 4' tables worked well, but I'm thinking
that I may be better off doing a 6' by 4' and a 4' by 4', giving me one
complete table for, say, small FT or SG2 actions, a small table for
board games, or very small scenarios, and a 10' by 4' table if added
together. I'm also thinking that 4' might be too narrow, and perhaps I
should go up to 5'.

I mentioned this a while back on the Warmaster list I'm on. My plan is
to use a 'hollow core door' for my table. You can buy these in all sorts
of widths and can special order a 48" wide version for the same price as
an off the shelf version. All doors are 80" long. Think about how sturdy
and durable they are, though you do not want to stand on one. ;-) They
cost about $20-25 depending on where you live. You can easily lay one on
top of any other table or attach folding table legs to the bottom with a
bit more work. We use such doors in model railroading to build N scale
layouts, and they are excellent. Plus you can store them in closets (if
you angle them in at first) or under a bed. You could even get two
smaller width doors and hinge them together for a larger folding table.
I plan on painting one side of mine a green or flock it green and paint
the other side black with a star pattern for my space games. The frame
is built in, so its easy to do this. Attaching a fascia lip to the edges
is dead easy as well, if you like. My suggestion. I think in one of
their model railroad layout books Kalmbach has reprinted a couple of
their layout projects using such tables, where they explain how to add
legs and so on.

BTW I'm new to the list as of today, but am on several other lists as
well. :-)

Prev: RE: WotD Laser Targeting Next: Re: Escort class vessels in line of battle