Prev: Re: Wargame Table Question Next: Re: (FT)Escorts

Re: [FT] WotW #6: Targeting Lidar

From: Richard and Emily Bell <rlbell@s...>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 18:41:59 -0500
Subject: Re: [FT] WotW #6: Targeting Lidar

"Izenberg, Noam" wrote:

> In parallel to the current SG(?) WotD discussion, I thought the next
FT WotW
> could be the Targeting Lidar - a Firecon enhancing system. I suppose
their
> not the same concept, but one reminded me of the other.
>
> Targeting Lidar
>
> MASS: 1, Cost: 4
> When used in concert with a Fire Control, each Targeting Lidar system
> subtracts 2" from the effective range of a single target ship. TL
effects
> are cumulative up to a point. A given weapon can receive
> benefits of 1 TL for each 12" (or part thereof) of range.
>
> Point Defense weapons may not use TL's. They are too weak to have
their
> range
> extended significantly.
>
> TLs are not Fire Controls - a FireCon must be used to target a ship
> normally, and
> the TL used in addition.

What do you think a fire control system consists of?  Lasers are not
used for
more than ranging today, because the beam is hard to keep on target
(using only
the reflected beam as an indication).  In a space battle, the ranges
could be
long enough to have the beam wide enough across to notice the difference
between
completely and partially painted.  A fire control is a modulable,
coherent
energy
source, a high gain system of lenses and/or reflectors, and a signal
processor.

Prev: Re: Wargame Table Question Next: Re: (FT)Escorts