Prev: [SG2] New 25mm Miniature Line Next: Re: [FT] Rules Questions

Young Lts

From: "Barclay, Tom" <tomb@b...>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 14:57:34 -0500
Subject: Young Lts

Rick said:
SG:
When playing SG, my point of view changes from move to move. When I move
a squad, I ask myself what the leader of that squad would do, and when I
move a platoon or company commander, I ask myself what that commander
would do. When I move a green squad, I sometimes do something foolish,
like charge out into the open -- the world is especially unkind to young
Lieutenants... :)

- -- Rick "Bulletproof" Rutherford

Tomb comments:

Unless it is Lt. Rick "Bulletproof" Rutherford who attended the CanAm
Urban
Combat Training Centre and majored in Bullet Dodging.

When I play one of these games, in order to "keep it real", I try to not
take one limiting scope - I think as the guys on the board - squad
leader,
platoon leader, company commander - and I try to think of how they
interact
with off board events. The more competent the squad, the more I try to
reflect that in terms of their actions (like Rick).

I also try NEVER to say "It's just a game and in order to win I have to
do
X", treating my guys like game pieces. They are, but if you want to
maintain
the feel, it is best to not treat them that way.

I take risks, but they are rarely (only when I screw up) blind risks.
Usually they are calculated. Sometimes I get nuked, sometimes it works.
As
it turns out, in the FT CanAm, I got nuked (but our coordination
reflected
the GREEN or YELLOW status of most of the fleet commanders...).

Prev: [SG2] New 25mm Miniature Line Next: Re: [FT] Rules Questions