Prev: Re: WotD Laser Targeting Next: RE: WotD Laser Targeting

RE: WotD Laser Targeting

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 18:52:01 +0200
Subject: RE: WotD Laser Targeting

Derk Groeneveld wrote:

>On Fri, 30 Mar 2001, Robertson, Brendan wrote:
>
>>Oh, goody.  Something that says "shoot me" in even bigger neon
>>letters... ;-)
>
>How so? Laser beams aren;t the star-wars big neon beams that nicely
>rail all the way back to the designator?

They come pretty damn close, I'm afraid.

Today's laser warners, ie the ones included in the ECM suites of many
of today's modern MBTs, are pretty good at detecting both that you're
being lazed and the general direction the beam comes from. Accurate
enough to lay a smoke screen to cut the beam before the missile arrives
unless the missile is almost at the target when the beam is switched
on; maybe also accurate enough to send a couple of HE grenades towards
the beam source.

I very much doubt that future laser warners are going to be less
efficient.

So yes, someone painting a tank *is* pretty much saying "shoot me" in
neon letters :-/

Regards,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.

Prev: Re: WotD Laser Targeting Next: RE: WotD Laser Targeting