Prev: RE: (SG2)Question on Firing Twice Next: RE: (FT) Point Value for Hulls

Command Reactivations

From: adrian.johnson@s...
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 18:16:33 -0500
Subject: Command Reactivations

>Sr. Tuffley said:
>Would it clarirfy the situation to simply say that:

Yes, it would :)

>"No squad may be activated in one turn more times than there are
command
>levels present on the table."
>Where squad leaders = command level 1; platoon leaders = command level
2;
>compay commanders = command level 3, and so on. Thus: if only squads
>present on-table, no squad may activate more than once (there is no-one
>transfer actions); if a platoon command is present then a squad may be
>activated twice (its own and one re-activation), if company command is
>present a single squad may activate up to three times (its own, platoon
>cmdr recativation and company cmdr reactivation of platoon cmdr).

<snip tomb's request>

>Well, if no-one comes up with any coherent arguments against it,
consider
>it [OFFICIAL] and maybe the esteemed keeper of the FAQ can put it in
the
>relevant place...?

This is in no way an argument against this statement.  However, from
some
of the other responses, there seems to be still a bit of confusion
around
this issue.  Would it be fair to summarize the general opinion to be the
following:

In addition to Jon's wording above,

1.  Actions may only be transferred by a senior unit reactivating a unit
that is subordinate to it in the chain of command.  So, in the case of a
force with two platoons (A and B), the A commander could NOT transfer an
action to a B platoon squad.  If these two platoons were part of a
company,
the company commander could transfer an action to either the platoon
commanders (no penalty to the dice roll) or to any squad in the company,
but at a penalty of a die shift.  Transferring actions may not take
place
across the chain of command, only down it.

2.  Regarding the total number of times any given unit may be activated
in
a turn (and I think you've been clear, but just to clear it further...)
- a
squad gets its' normal activation (two actions).  It may be reactivated
(two more actions) by its' platoon commander ONE TIME.	A platoon
commander
may only reactivate any of his squads ONCE each, UNLESS that platoon
commander is subsequently re-activated by a company commander.	If a
company command is being used, then the company commander may reactivate
either squads in the company (at the listed penalty) OR his subordinate
platoon commanders.  A reactivated platoon commander is free to transfer
actions to any squad in his platoon as if it were a completely new turn
SO
he would have the same limit as outlined above - he can only reactivate
any
given squad ONCE.

SO, assuming you are using a company level of organization and command,
any
given squad may only be activated a total of three times in any given
game
turn MAXIMUM (once for its' own activation, once from the platoon
commander's transferred action, and once again if the platoon commander
is
reactivated by the company commander).

This gives the flexibility you clearly wanted with your rules for
command
units, but places some reasonable limits (which it seems to be somewhat
of
a consensus about) on how many times any given squad may act.
Otherwise,
you'll have some cheesemonkey trying to activate the same squad five
times
in a turn...

Thoughts...?

Adrian

Adrian Johnson

Prev: RE: (SG2)Question on Firing Twice Next: RE: (FT) Point Value for Hulls