Prev: Re: In praise of Cottage Industry Next: Escort class vessels in line of battle

Re: In praise of Cottage Industry

From: Glenn M Wilson <triphibious@j...>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 11:58:43 EST
Subject: Re: In praise of Cottage Industry

On Tue, 27 Mar 2001 08:46:06 -0500 "Bell, Brian K (Contractor)"
<Brian.Bell@dscc.dla.mil> writes:
>Hmmm. It seems that you have your work cut out for you.
>
>FT2 is 70% obsolete due to changes introduced in FB1/2.
>MT is out of print
>DS2 is out of print
>BDS is long overdue.
>-Other pokers in the fire-
>  FB3
>  FMASk
>  Scenario Book
>  15 mm line (IF, NI, PAU, etc.)
>  FT ships for IF & ORC that are partially done (not every ship class
>represented)
>

>I would think that FT3 should be the first priority. Now before the
>BDS
>outcry, let me explain why. It is somewhat unfair to ask your
>customers to
>purchase a book that is over half obsolete. Many crutial rules (such
>as
>fighter morale) is in the out of print MT. And the other important
>rules are
>scattered across 2 fleetbooks and MT. Consolidating these into a
>single
>volume for the rules should be a high priority. Also FT appears to be
>your
>top seller.

Just bought FB1 after recently getting FT/2nd - but I'd buy FT3
(combining the 'just out of my grasp' MT book if only for the fighter
rules for my Whistlers force...)

>I think that an updated DS3 should be next on the priority list. If
>you plan
>to go fully FMA with DS (opposed roll for damage instead of chit
>drawing),
>now is the time to do it (before another print run). Also it could
>consolidate with SG2 at this point (GMS/P, decoys, etc.). I would also
>encourage you to update the construction rules. Some of the miniatures
>in
>the Dirtside and Future Wars lines do not seem possible to build with
>the
>current rules. It may also be a good time to drop the point system or
>update
>it. And new interface rules for use with FT.

As a DS2 freak, I can accept the difference for now - but then I don't
play Stargrunt and most others *do* so it /is/ a good idea to try and
link them somewhat seamlessly...

>Concurrent with DS3 (or shortly after) should be BDS introducing alien
>ground tech for DS3 and SG2. It should also contain DS/SG
>consolidation
>information (such as adding PDS to SG vehicles).

Well, yes for canon players, as a Space
Marines(Non-GW)/StarGuard/DS2/FT2nd user I would like to see BDS ahead
of
FMASk (but only as a source - I admit I wouldn't be playing the game
itself.)

And while I did just order some Future Wars and Dirtside Miniatures I
can
admit that with 'other' lines plus WW2 and Modern converts I have plenty
to choose from currently.

Plus there is the store going out of business with all that Battletech
stuff on the walls...

>Anyway, my $.02 worth on what I would like to see happen.
>
>-----
>Brian Bell
>bkb@beol.net
>http://www.ftsr.org
>-----

dos centavos mas...

Gracias, Glenn/Triphibious (American Mongrel)
You don't have to be French to be a 'frog', or even human!
Nektons - Real Marines! (Die, Ralnai, Die!)
Starguard, Dirtside 2,	Ratner's Space Marines, Stellar Conflicts
and Uprisings, and Full Thrust/2nd.  Resistance is everything!

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!

Prev: Re: In praise of Cottage Industry Next: Escort class vessels in line of battle