Prev: Re: Replies to a variety of posts... cause I'm lazy.... Next: Re: Item #5: Re: Replies to a variety of posts... cause I'm lazy....

Re: Replies to a variety of posts... cause I'm lazy....

From: Derk Groeneveld <derk@c...>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 12:45:26 +0100 (CET)
Subject: Re: Replies to a variety of posts... cause I'm lazy....

On Thu, 22 Mar 2001, Barclay, Tom wrote:

> Item 1:
>
> Some links.... that may be of interest
>
> These have been up for a long time now, but I may have originated bits
of
> most of these... or formalized thoughts from others. Use the bits you
like,
> modify at will.
>
> Shortly these will appear on the soon to appear stargrunt.ca (soon as
my
> domain registrar can figure out how to accomplish a transfer... and
Adrian
> and I can get a stylesheet in place...)

Thanks!
> Item 2:
>
> EW - why to keep it active, or not.
>
> Active: Good for jamming. Bad for hiding. If you have an ambusher with
> running EW or comms, you don't have an ambush.
>
> Passive: Good for ambushing or hiding, bad for jamming.

That depends on whether 'active' means barrage noise jamming, or
intelligent responsive jamming? An active noise jammer is indeed very
obvious; intelligent deceptive jamming usually far less so.

(I'll happily go into the differences if people are interested, but
don't
want to spam otherwise)

> And, if you are just nasty as all heck and allow GMS-P/HARMs.... well,
the
> EW jammer with his active EW set is gonna find that a GMS/P really
ruins his
> day....

*grin* The same applies to anyone using advanced sensors, of course.

> Plus an EW unit ought to automatically be revealled - and makes a good
place
> for arty.

Again, that depends on the type of EW. I'd imagine in the future a lot
more deceptive than white nosie EW would be used.

> Item 5:
>
> Is there anyone who knows a company producing Scarab APCs or Corvus
VTOLs?
> If so, a name/weblink would be a super plus. I have 2 Scarabs, but I'm
using
> them as my "small" french AIFV (I'm using the Phalanx as the big boy
since
> it reminds me of a VAB). I also have a Corvus, but I need another one.
They
> tend to work in pairs. If you don't know what I'm talking about,
you're
> missing out - these are old minis made by (Grenadier?) that went with
> bunch of the Future Wars lines - nicely done.

Pictures?

> The French tend to include marksmen in squads (see the first link at
the top
> for my marksman rules) and they tend to act (as someone said) as
better
> riflemen - giving the squad some organic counter sniper for all sorts
of ops
> these days. My FSE Squads tend to pack 1 marksman each (unless they
are
> assault squads where the flamer troops appear!).

I'll have to look at the links, sounds interesting. Of course, Milan's
make wonderful counter-sniper weapons as well (GMS/1, I guess)

> Item 7:
>
> Squads/Fireteams:
>
> I'm a bit of a heretic, but I like the 4 man fireteam with complete
> independence of manouvre. I also like the idea that the morale for
both
> fireteams is really a linked product - if one fireteam sees the other
get
> smoked... well, it'll have a big efffect. They bivouac together and
train
> together as a squad, even if they fight as fireteams. I find
"detachments"
> are 1) too hard to form and 2) to restrictive in terms of how you have
> activate them. YMMV.

So how would you use these then?

> Item 9:
>
> Skylighting -- anyone remember the Satellite viewed kill in Patriot
Games (I
> think that was it)? The SAS came into the terrorist camp skylighted
really
> pronouncedly against the dunes/nights sky. Not very professional I'd
think.
> Any sentry not completely on drugs would have seen them clearly.
Movies do
> horrendous things to make combat more cinematic (mostly).

Yeah. Or worse, Stargate... I thought they were specvial forces, but
they
really were (lousy) boyscouts!

> Item 10:
>
> Terrain clutter: I've seen many areas of the Canadian Shield where I
> couldn't see 10 ft for thick brush, others where I could fire half a
mile.
> Plenty of plowed fields to give long fire lanes. And if you've ever
seen an
> excercise in Saskatchewan.... well, cover is a crease in the prairie
> hardpan... and entrenching if the clay is hard is a no-go... and you
can see
> further than you can shoot with artillery...

Well, okay. That's why I said 'european'. Mm. Half a mile is how much in
tabletop scale again?

> Item 11:
>
> Thankfully there is no Item 11. We now return you to your regularly
> scheduled programming. Trust the Computer. The Computer is your
friend.

LOL!

Cheers,

  Derk
Version: GnuPG v1.0.4 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Made with pgp4pine

iD8DBQE6uzdcJXH58oo6ncURAnYzAJ9WnAnswq+ZWnKovBRamNYMJYwGTwCeO+1x
sugaUUjQJuZUrnAirVoDvGA=
=sldQ