Prev: Re: [sg] Starting Forces Next: RE: FMA Skirmish Rules

Re: SG2 forces

From: Derk Groeneveld <derk@c...>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 21:10:02 +0100 (CET)
Subject: Re: SG2 forces

On Thu, 22 Mar 2001, Barclay, Tom wrote:

> Derk wrote (in response to my bit below):
>
> > ==> GMS/P rules! - and here is why: Play on a big board some time.
The
> > unlimited range/no range mods is pretty darn good. If I can shoot
across a
> > 10' board and hit a vehicle, that's pretty important. Now, if you
allow
> > Enhanced or better ECM on everything, that's a different tune, but
most of
> > our vehicles have basic or enhanced (for the MBTs). So the odds are
> > reasonable. And the range is the key benefit.
>
> True. You'd need to be doing Desert warfare, though ;) Most terrain
would
> not allow many such shots, I'd think?
>
> ==> Not really. Just a big board. Try looking at

http://www.warpfish.com/jhan/ft/gzgecc/gzgecc3/gallery/S3_GreyDay05.jpg
just
> as an example. Even normal battlefields can have some clear
table-length
> firelanes. Now, if you were in the desert without too many high dunes,
you'd
> have nothing _but_ table length fire lanes. I think on most non-forest
or
> non-jungle or non-swamp tables you could draw at least some lines
longer
> than 40" (the limit of IAVRs for regs) and definitely the missile will
be
> more accurate (assuming average guidance and ECM) out past about 24".

Maybe. But on the other hand, most tabletop battlefields tend to be far
too sparse in terrain clutter. At least for 'european' scenarios they
seem
to be.

> ==> I played one game with OUDF fleeing in some APCs (some damaged)
vs. FSE
> and PAU (high adrian). They ended up abandoning all their vehicles,
but
> during that game there were 27 GMS/P shots fired, of which (counting
ECM,
> heavy EW presence for the OUDF, and bad luck on penetration rolls), 3
hit to
> effect. But they did their job....

1 out of 9? Sounds like serious bad luck!

Cheers,

   Derk
Version: GnuPG v1.0.4 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Made with pgp4pine

iD8DBQE6ulwfJXH58oo6ncURAia9AJ9HRVAftWqL0bc/MSQlviA6F0RRoACghoRW
Sh+8yhYASBMpc0BgM7NrI7I=
=HS9F

Prev: Re: [sg] Starting Forces Next: RE: FMA Skirmish Rules