Prev: Re: Destroyers Next: Re: ScanFed minis

FT : AAR UN incursion turned back

From: "Flynn Richardson" <Flynn.Richardson@u...>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 10:11:06 +1200 (New Zealand Standard Time)
Subject: FT : AAR UN incursion turned back

Place: Neu Mannheim System

Co-Ordinate system: Cine & Inches 8'x4.5'

Situation

UN forces ( 1 BC 2 CH 1 CE 1 CL 1DD 2 FF) Blockading the system for Tax
purposes are met by a Battle force of the NSL ( 1 Maria Von Burgund, 1
Richthofen, 1 Markgraf, 1 Radetzky, 2 Waldburgs, 1 Ehrenhold)

Tech Note : UN design philosophy is Average hull Medium Armour Shield
thrust 4 all arc class 2's with a spinal mount (class 4) in the BC and
needle beams in the cruisers. NSL standard from FB

Planet gravity 2" out to 6" 1" out to 12" directly towards planet
doesn't
change heading

Starting positions

 |-----------------------|
 |U1			 |
 |			 |
 |	     P		N|
 |			 |
 |			 |
 |U2			 |
 |-----------------------|

U1= BC, CH, CL, FF
U2= CH, CE, DD, FF

Excerpt from NSL News media

"As Usual the UN dogs crept forward unhappy to engage a real fighting
force, While our men leapt at the chance to deal with the Pirates. We
decided to tackle group U2 first so headed to the port side of Neu
Mannheim (NM). The scurvy dog of a UN commander realised that we were
going to pounce on one part of his force and so tried to recombine them.

End turn 1
 |-----------------------|
 |   U1 		 |
 |			 |
 |	     P		 |
 |			 |
 |		    N	 |
 |   U2 		 |
 |-----------------------|

U1= BC, CH, CL, FF
U2= CH, CE, DD, FF

Undeterred we pushed forward accelerating to get to grips with the
thieving brutes as soon as possible to remove their taint from our loyal
system. Extra Long range fire dealt a surprising amount of damage to the
Ehrenhold cutting through its armour and causing it to lose control of
one
of its	main batteries and a PDS. The scum where beyond our weapon
range.

End turn 2
 |-----------------------|
 |			 |
 |	U1		 |
 |	     P		 |
 |			 |
 |			 |
 |    U2	 N	 |
 |-----------------------|

U1= BC, CH, CL, FF
U2= CH, CE, DD, FF

Tricking our opponents our fleet slowed down to allow our advantage in
long range fire power to have some effect. A pulse torp from our
flagship
slammed into the Heavy cruiser in front of us while our class 3's
savaged
his all escorts effectively removing them from the fight by either
knocking out their puny fire control systems or taking out their weapon
systems. (Note UN main drives also seam to be highly susceptible beam
fire! 2 out of 3 lost a step) Return fire from the BC caused more damage
to the Ehrenhold removing its fire control system.

End turn 3
 |-----------------------|
 |			 |
 |			 |
 |	 U1  P		 |
 |			 |
 |			 |
 |     U2      N	 |
 |-----------------------|

U1= BC, CH, CL, FF
U2= CH, CE, DD, FF

The next phase saw the defeat of the UN forces as our admiral split of
the
damaged Ehrenhold and a Warsaw to protect it while continuing to slow
our
main force. We misjudged slightly and ended up at close range to his
opposing group. The pirates managed to get the drop on us and lashed the
Richthofen with fire from the CH that stripped away its armour but
barely
damaged it hull. It responded by targeting the CE and showed the scum
how
a real navy fights by reducing it to a barely functioning hulk ( killed
half its weapons systems and all its fire cons plus taking out is main
drive) Fire from the other HC hit the Radetzky and had a similar effect
the fire from its brother ship. i.e. not much. return fire caused a bit
of
damage to the CL but nothing too dramatic. The Bc the fired on the
Markgraf which took all its armour and two thirds a row of hull damage.
Our flagship responded by firing on the CH it had hit the turn before
with
the pulse torp and fired on the CL with its PT. After most of the
systems
fell over our escorts and the Markgraf put the coup de grace in by
destroying the CH and doing further damage on the CE (one hull left)and
the CL.

At this point the UN commander hauled down his flag and surrendered the
remainder of his forces (only 2 were capable of fire the BC and the CH)

End turn 4
 |-----------------------|
 |			 |
 |			 |
 |	     P		 |
 |	 U1 N2		 |
 |			 |
 |	U2  N1		 |
 |-----------------------|

U1= BC, CH, CL, FF
U2= CE, DD, FF

N1= BB,BC,CH,CE,DD
N2= DD FF

Overall a glorious victory by the NSL forces"

End Excerpt

Note:- the reporter covering the battle has been sent to remedial
diplomacy classes.

What went well :- planet worked well NSL forces got caught it the grav
well which allowed the long range shot against the frigate. NSL policy
of
firing injured ships ASAP to make sure that they got a chance to use
their
fire power. On paper at range 1 the UN forces could do more damage on
average that the NSL, in practice the loss of his small ships and the
removing of the larger ships fire cons due to threshold checks cut his
available fire power quite a bit while we only missed out on one
frigates
worth.

What went wrong :-

Once again I was too eager to get to grips with him and I misjudged my
closing speed so we did not stay in range band 2 at all.(4,3,1)

Flynn Richardson
Special Projects Manager
Unilever Australasia

Prev: Re: Destroyers Next: Re: ScanFed minis