Prev: Re: Destroyers Next: [sg] Starting Forces

Re: FT-Technology in the FT world

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 19:15:13 +0100
Subject: Re: FT-Technology in the FT world

David Rodemaker wrote:

>>>I handle this IMC in a very simple matter. Since it is based on a
>>>Traveller model, a Higher Tech Level Ship get's a +1 per tech level
>>>difference on all pertinant die rolls.
>>
>>The problem with this is that FT only uses D6s. Even a +1 modifier is
>>very, *very* much unless you restrict them to DCP rolls only, and a
+6
>>modifier is utterly devastating :-(
>
>And something that I was willing to deal with IMC. In Traveller, the
>difference between TL is not as great as it is in say, GURPS, but
there is a
>considerable difference. (Prob. not as high as a 16% increase in
>effectiveness though <g>)

If it were only 16%... but it isn't.

If you add the modifier straight to beam dice the first +1 means +50%
damage against unscreened targets, and more than that against screened
ones. A +2 modifier means +100% beam damage against unscreened targets
(and again more than that against screened ones), etc. If you add it to
P-torp/SM/PBL damage rolls (rather than to-hit rolls), it is "only"
+29% damage per level (compared to TL9), etc.

>But also look at the example given... TL9 is the very start of stellar
>exploration, and TL15 is the absolute maximum of human prowess

Sure, if you look at the extremes. I'm more worried about the normal
case though - judging from the FFW, BR and BL game mechanics (I only
have the space combat games, not the RPG), a TL difference of only 1
shouldn't automatically mean that you're floored... yet that's the
effect a +1 die modifier can have in FT, unless you're very careful
with where you apply it.

Regards,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.

Prev: Re: Destroyers Next: [sg] Starting Forces