Prev: Re: [OT]: Trailers, John A, and Barbarians Next: Re: [OT][sensors] lander spotted?

Re: [OT] barbarians

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 20:21:21 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: [OT] barbarians

--- "Barclay, Tom" <tomb@bitheads.com> wrote:
> John said:
> Yup.	Remember, the original definition of the term
> now rendered "barbarian" was "Anyone not Greek."
> This
> evolved into "Anyone not Roman" when they conquered
> the part of the world worth having.
>
> Tom Replies:
> Hmmm. I musta missed that in history. I agree with
> your comment about "Not > Greek" and "Not Roman"
meaning (in their eyes) > barbarians. OTOH, since they
> never conquered the land of the Kelts and Druids
> (just build bleedin' > Hadrian's Wall) which is now
called Scotland, I > can't possibly see how you
> conclude "they conquered the part of the world worth
> having".

Actually they got at least as far north as Edinburg.
I've visited the ruins of a Roman supply camp there.

Sorry John,
> but in this one instance, you're just plain wrong.

The other half is that at this time the Scots had not
yet invented Whiskey so there was absolutely nothing
of value that far north.

John

Prev: Re: [OT]: Trailers, John A, and Barbarians Next: Re: [OT][sensors] lander spotted?