Prev: Re: FT-Technology in the FT world Next: Re: Destroyers

Re: FT-Technology in the FT world

From: "Bif Smith" <bif@b...>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 18:24:07 -0000
Subject: Re: FT-Technology in the FT world

----- Original Message -----
From: <KH.Ranitzsch@t-online.de>
To: <gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu>
Sent: Monday, March 19, 2001 9:17 AM

> >Absender: matt@smithdom.freeserve.co.uk
> ... my point is that from 2183 (FB1) to 2194 is eleven years of
> > war against the Kra'Vak. Surely in that time, some technological
> > developments will be made? Surely the ships of 2194 will be
> > different from those in 2183? In what ways?
>
> That would depend on the development and deployment cycles for
> warships, fighters, etc., which may differ from one category to
another.
Compare
> say, 1990 (Gulf War era) and today - about the sam timespan. Most
> weaponry is not that different, but PCs are leagues apart.

Snip

> This will depend very much on how closely the technology of one race
> links up with the science and technology of another. Say, humans have
much
> better beams than Kravak, but Kravak have advanced gravitic
> drives/guns, but human gravitics is primitve, as is Kravak beam tech.
For
one race,
> copying the other race's advanced technology may require major
> research, engineering and infrastructure efforts.

What I was getting at is that one races tech may or may not be easily
coppieable, but the tech used may give the scientists new ideas on how
develope systems using that tech. One example that springs to mind that
is
not just copying alien tech, is using KV grav tech to develope a HH
style
"wedge" propultion system. The original KV drive would give more
maneuverability, but the HH style drive would give you a big advantage
against KV K-guns. Just one way in which there could be differences
using
the same grav tech (not that I`m saying this would be the way, just a
example of the differences posible).

BIF
 "yorkshire born,yorkshire bred,
 strong in arms, thick in head"

PS-I don`t see the gulf war as a good example of war forcing the tech
developement, as the war was too short, and the nations involved (usa,
uk
etc) were not putting everything into the war, and saying sod the
economy
(ie-putting everything into the war, with no exceptions).

Prev: Re: FT-Technology in the FT world Next: Re: Destroyers