Prev: Destroyers Next: RE: Re: [OT]: Trailers, John A, and Barbarians

Re: Destroyers

From: devans@u...
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 10:56:16 -0600
Subject: Re: Destroyers

***
The seem to be two basic and conflicting roles for
DDs. As escorts for the battlefleet to protect them
from attack by fighters and missiles and as attackers
themselves. A ship optimised for either role is of
little use in the other.
***

Well, it's shifting all the time. In WWII, you had torpedo boats firing
torpedoes, and torpedo boat destroyers doing the same, while more
designed
for defense against TB's.

Earlier war II, there was little threat perceived from planes, so the
above
was still in effect.

Of course, there's a strong case to be made for 'only one world war with
long, imperfect haitus in the center...'

In the Fleet Book I designs, the escort functions are pretty much via
light
cruiser varients.

As I've played mostly FB designs, DD's are defensive mainly in 'best'
manner, i.e., offense.

Offensive DD's make much more sense if you see them as occasionally on
detached service.

Prev: Destroyers Next: RE: Re: [OT]: Trailers, John A, and Barbarians