Prev: Re: [semi-OT] Aircraft Vs Dreadnoughts Next: [CON]

Re: [OT]: Trailers, John A, and Barbarians

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 22:50:31 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: [OT]: Trailers, John A, and Barbarians

--- "Barclay, Tom" <tomb@bitheads.com> wrote:
> 1) Trailers.

> Maybe the AG unit (or GEV) unit in the trailer is
> powered by some sort of
> electrical PTO from the main vehicle (hence they
> don't actually need a
> powerplant or batteries).

I could see this if the towing vehicle were
FGP-powered.  So you've have a half-cost suspension
and some (effectively free) heavy-duty power
connections.  There are some serious engineering
problems, since one of the requirements for any
trailer I'd want is the ability to quick-disconnect
while moving (note:  No US trailer can do this) and
doing so while "in flight" could be a bit disasterous.
 But that's overcomable.

> 2) John A.
> Good to have you back, Captain Controversy. :-)
> So I take it if I run some FSE vs. NSL SG at the
> next ECC, you'll be joining
> the NSL? :)

Only if I'm not busy at the CanAm scenario running a
small unit tactics clinic--although from the ECCIV
size what us 'Mericans really needed was some decent
dice karma.  ;)  Someone wanna let me use house rules
for breaching buildings and using satchel charges?

> 3) Barbarians

Good topic under which to discuss Slavs and minor
Germanic tribes. . .

> - There was a place called Stalingrad
> - Germans were there
> - Russians were there
> - There were snipers
> - There was propaganda
> - Anything else is highly speculative

Alles gut.

> - How did a school commandant get to be "the best
> sniper"?

Presumably one takes one's best snipers offline to run
one's sniper school?

> - How does a Colonel keep up his sniper abilities?
> (Most good snipers were NCOs....)

Well, there's some speculation that the officer in
question was actually an unknown NCO who was assigned
officer rank by the propoganda machine.  We'll never
know since the Whermacht destroyed his records after
his death.

John

Prev: Re: [semi-OT] Aircraft Vs Dreadnoughts Next: [CON]