Prev: Re: UNSC (emotional rant) Next: Re: [FT] UNSC (emotional rant)

Re: [FT] Needle Beam questions

From: Glenn M Wilson <triphibious@j...>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 23:06:45 EST
Subject: Re: [FT] Needle Beam questions

On Fri, 16 Mar 2001 08:32:24 -0500 "Izenberg, Noam"
<Noam.Izenberg@jhuapl.edu> writes:
<snip>

>Take a look at Laserlight's IF fleets and design philosophy. As one
>who
>prefers playing New Israel, I think I would welcome facing a primarily
>Needle-armed fleet.
>
>Noam Izenberg

Noam, although I am thinking using the Needle Beam primarily for the
Nektons in a Starguard conversion campaign, I think you have hit it
pretty much on the head in two arenas.

1) The best to decide this is for each local group to play it out on the
table.	I hope to have some Nekton ships ready (I will use another PSB
for testing in a non-Starguard setting) soon that will reflect the
following:

	A) Escort class ships sporting *either* 1 - 4 NB /or/ 1 - 3 "A"
beams		(remember this is FT/2nd only that I have
currently) in mixed flotillas of 2:3	ratio of NB to Beam ships.

	B) Cruiser class ships in similar mixed flotillas of 1:3, with
the NB ships	carrying [5, 6, 7 NB only - 2 Firecons {or} NB A/B
Beam mixes] and the		"non-NB" ships packing Beams only
(Max'ed on the "A" type).

	C) Capital ships TBD (originally Nektons had no need as a minor
power	for other then raiders but I'll need something for testing
scenarios -		probably Beam heavy with a small number of
NB's just to maintain the		Nekton "flavor" (sometimes
described as amphibious remoras...)

2) IMO standard NB are fine just the way they are, although I can see
some of the alternates [HNB - one arc, and the Needle Beam/"C" Beam with
multiple Arcs (I'd limit them to 180 degrees myself)] as viable.  I've
been convinced that [while I don't 'buy' the PSB to prevent
Maneuvering/Life Support hits per se] the danger in 'unrepairable' hits
in life support and 'the Bridge' are unbalancing in game terms.  The
idea
to find a balance for the weapon to make it 'useful and playable'
without
creating an "Uber Weapon" in the game.

I vote for standard, HNB (one arc) and 1-3 arc (In FB terms) NB/light
Beam adjustable weapons as inclusive and bypass the other optional
weapons.

Gracias, Glenn/Triphibious (American Mongrel)
You don't have to be French to be a 'frog', or even human!
Nektons - Real Marines! (Die, Ralnai, Die!)
Starguard, Dirtside 2,	Ratner's Space Marines, Stellar Conflicts
and Uprisings, and Full Thrust/2nd.  Resistance is everything!

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!

Prev: Re: UNSC (emotional rant) Next: Re: [FT] UNSC (emotional rant)