Prev: Re: [FT] UNSC (emotional rant) Next: Re: Aircraft Vs Dreadnoughts (Which is what the topic mutated into :o)

Phalanx

From: "Barclay, Tom" <tomb@b...>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 02:39:03 -0500
Subject: Phalanx

Daniel wrote:

Phalanx Size 4 vehicle
	4x5=	20 capacity points

DFFG/1 in Turret = 1x3 =  3pts
4 Troop Elements = 4x4 = 16pts
	  Total Points = 22pts

Even though the two DFFGs are in separate Turrets let's take one
down to only 2 points? Still 21 points.

Am I missing something here?

[Tomb] Nope. It's an illegal design (for shame, Mr. Tuffley). But the
longer
I play SG, the more I want to design by vehicle look rather than by a
strict
system - here's why. Take a LIPPC.... looks like it could fit say 6 or 7
troops. Add a turret with a class 1 gun and a GMS/L. That seems to be
equivalent to about 5 troops only... a bit small.

Take a Wombat APC.... add a GMS/L sidemounted to the turret. It too has
about 5 points of armament then (or 8 if the gun was class 2). It is
probably only a class 2 vehicle... maybe class 3, but it looks like it
should hold 8 guys.

The Phalanx needs room for 1 or 2 more guys.

Portable GMS/L need to be bigger (take up some internal space for
soldiers
too).

I'd say look at the mini, decide what arms ought to be on it and how
many
guys it ought to have. Decide roughly what size class it is as a target.
Go
with that... even if it doesn't totally add up (write it off to more or
less
miniaturization of combat systems and power supply/etc).

I have an Eldar Grav Tank which looks class 5+, has a twin battery that
looks like class 4 or class 5 guns, plus a cupola with what look like
twin
class 1 AP weapons, plus 6 apparatures along the hull that look like
they
discharge something (I think in the GW game they launch explosive
shuriken...). Try putting all that on a class 5 vehicle.

Go with what is satisfying... the design rules are only a good
compromise.
They also allow things that are (in my mind) bad... like mounting quad
GMS/H
on a vehicle..... just ridiculous.... but it can be legal....

Tomb

Prev: Re: [FT] UNSC (emotional rant) Next: Re: Aircraft Vs Dreadnoughts (Which is what the topic mutated into :o)