Prev: [FT] Needle Beam questions Next: RE: [FT] UNSC (emotional rant), etc etc etc...

Re: [FT] Needle Beam questions

From: "Bif Smith" <bif@b...>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 07:27:27 -0000
Subject: Re: [FT] Needle Beam questions

----- Original Message -----
From: Morgan Vening <morgan@optushome.com.au>
To: <gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu>
Sent: Friday, March 16, 2001 6:24 AM
Subject: [FT] Needle Beam questions

> I'm looking at the concept of Needle Beams, and can't find my FT
> rulebook currently. The FAQ and my memory recalls, Needle
> Beam damage can't typically be repaired. The problem I see, is
> how this affects non-weapon systems. The FAQ uses the example
> of blowing the weapons mount to bits. This I have no problem with.
>
> What I see as being the problem is that Fire Controls and Engines
> will be the most common target of these systems. Not being
> repairable I can see being a big problem, if I make a fleet with NB's
> as it's primary weapon system. So, I'll open up the floor.
>
> Do people think FC's and Engines should not be targetable by
> NB's? Much like Control Systems for FC's their main
> instrumentation would be internal, with multiple redundant external
> systems? And Engines being too large/armoured to be affected by
> the precision strikes?
>
> Or, do people think that the damage from NB's against these
> systems should be repairable? Rerouting of the energy conduits for
> an engine, changing to a redundant system for Fire Control?
>
> Or a combination of the two? Engines not being destroyable, FC's
> being repairable, or vice versa.
>
> Or, do people think NB's should just not be permitted, full stop?
> Which would be a shame as I am working on a house set for an
> Islamic fleet, and figured maneuverable and precise would be a
> good thematic concept.
>
> Morgan Vening

Currently, needle beam dammage is unrepairable, making a fast, small
ship a
good way to kill the capitol ships of your oponents. This also makes
your
battlegroup escorted by lighter units to keep these small ship killers
off
your back.One suggestion I had is ling range needle beams can be
repaired
with 2 sucessful repair rolls, whereas short range needle beams cannot.
If
you find needle beams too potent, you could have a house rule that
certain
needle beam dammaged systems (like engines) can be repaired with the
same
use of 2 sucessful repair rolls.

BIF
 "yorkshire born,yorkshire bred,
 strong in arms, thick in head"

Prev: [FT] Needle Beam questions Next: RE: [FT] UNSC (emotional rant), etc etc etc...