Prev: Re: [FT] UNSC (emotional rant) Next: Re: [OT] I just noticed this on Jon's catalog

[OT] Listen up you apes!

From: Chan Faunce <chanfaunce@t...>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 00:05:13 -0800
Subject: [OT] Listen up you apes!

If you haven't heard, the first Roughnecks: Starship Troopers Chronicles
DVD and video is out. Just thought I'd give a quick note and review.

Episodes covered:
   Freefall
   Plasma Bugs Of Navarone
   Handle With Care
   Basic Training
   Deep Trouble

The DVD does not have 5 separate episodes, instead they have been
spliced together to create a 97 minute movie - "The Pluto Campaign". It
doesn't appear that any footage was dropped.

Image quality is outstanding. I have a first generation SLP tape made
off Sci-Fi to compare it to and it's much sharper. The upside is that
you can see a lot of little details that you might have missed. The
downside is that a couple of "glitches" that you might have missed jump
off the screen at you (especially the first 2 episodes). Notably -
broken character movement, where it looks like frames dropped out
producing gaps in the motion, and a "pulsing" of distant laser fire
where the beam is not thick enough to render entirely and appears as a
series of dashes.

Features:
   Shots of pre-production artwork and character sketches. Unfortunately
they are fairly small on screen and my "Zoom" feature doesn't work here
(unlike Reboot DVD where I could blow up the picture and see the
details).
   5.1 Dolby Digital,, 2-Channel Dolby
   Subtitles: English, Spanish, French, Portuguese, Chinese, Korean,
Thai

Can't wait for the next one.

--
Channing C. Faunce

chanfaunce@NOSPAMHEREtoast.net
http://members.toast.net/chanfaunce/index.html

NEW projects
http://members.toast.net/chanfaunce/tidak.jpg
http://members.toast.net/chanfaunce/vadok1.jpg

Those who cast the votes decide nothing. Those who count the votes
     decide everything. attributed to Josef Stalin

Prev: Re: [FT] UNSC (emotional rant) Next: Re: [OT] I just noticed this on Jon's catalog