Prev: RE: RE: [sg] Vehicle ID Next: New Mercenary PA TO&E

RE: [FT] UNSC

From: "Mike J." <pmj6@y...>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 12:05:45 -0800 (PST)
Subject: RE: [FT] UNSC

--- Rick Rutherford <Rick@esr.com> wrote:
> I know what you mean... how can you have a truly
> "independent" force?
> You have to live somewhere, and as far as I know,
> there's no separate
> "Independent UN Territory" on the GZG world map.
>
> Culturally, your upbringing is going to be shaped by
> the country you grow up
> in, and if you decide to be a UNSC Marine once you
> turn 18, then you'd
> have to renounce your nation in order to become
> "independent". And your
> countrymen are most likely going to regard you as a
> traitor, especially if
> you come back to "restore the peace" in your old
> neighborhood...
>
> At best, the UN could have a permanent,
> well-organized force of
> mercenaries, but I can't imagine that they'd ever be
> as numerous
> or (potentially) well-motivated as a national army.
>
> -- Rick "Bulletproof" Rutherford

Not necessarily. The French Foreign Legion experience
shows that elite units can be fashioned out of
citizenless mercenaries (not particularly well paid
ones at that), and if the UNSC managed to create a
similar sort of image and ethos for its armed forces
it could be assured of a steady flow of candidates.

UNSC can also follow the British example ("Space
Gurkhas"), although I am not sure whether there exists
a similar pool of recruits in GZG universe for UNSC to
tap.

Mike J.

=====
Visit 20th Century/Future Wargame Resource page
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Rampart/1966/

Prev: RE: RE: [sg] Vehicle ID Next: New Mercenary PA TO&E