Prev: Re: Alien PA Next: Re: Starship Basing Alternatives

KV PA, Space Cats, and Close Assault (all for one low, low price! )

From: "Barclay, Tom" <tomb@b...>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 19:17:42 -0500
Subject: KV PA, Space Cats, and Close Assault (all for one low, low price! )

KV PA:

Seen Nic (from Eureka Minis)'s Not-Predators? They are about the size of
28mm figure, in Predator style armour, with Vibroglaives and shoulder
mounted remote plasma guns. I ordered about 30, and they fill a "knight"
(Predator Caste KV) role - they are fast, they are even nastier than
normal
KV in HTH, and they are well armoured and have high morale and quality.
They
are the flower of my KV army... and the point of the sword. And if you
ever
want to FMA with preds, they fit very well.

Space Cats:
Oh my. An entire fleet lost to the Pussy from Hell. Yikes. Now, my cats
have
been known to knock over trays of half-assembled or half-painted figures
and
it really doesn't matter how much censure you apply, they just don't
seem to
have a clue why this fat furless cat with the really crappy sounding
voice
is frothing and raving at them.... My sympathies in spades.

Close assault:

Here's one. Close assault in the game assumes (from the text) your
target is
a point of geography you want to take. We had this happen one time:

1) Enemy squad reaches about 8" away from target using terrain.
2) Enemy declares CA, makes roll to charge.
3) Player voluntarily routes.
4) Makes morale check (no casualties).
5) Attacker wants to pursue them. Rules say "you can take the position,
or
you can attempt an overrun". But _there_is_no_position_to_take because
the
target is the squad itself.... and it has moved.... (again, the rules
were
assuming assaulting some fixed locale).
6) For a reason I can't recollect exactly, the overrun wasn't
successful.
But the movement of the figures, had they been allowed to roll two
combat
movements like normal closing for CC would have been more than enough to
put
them "in contact". They started very close to the other squad.

And even if they had made it, the other squad could have (I think)
routed
away (Adrian doesn't think so, but nothing actually precludes this I
think.... and it makes sense, you should be able to run as fast as your
pursuers). So you have an "attack/retreat" sequence that can go on up
the
board (unless you impose a limit), which, if you have a good leader,
isn't
going to cost you a morale level and you'll keep fleeing.

That seems kind of silly. I'm not sure what would have fixed this. I am
sure
we should have a FAQ section on this, not to address "rules issues"
because
the official rules don't explicitly cover everything, but to cover
possible
interpretations, situations, and ramifications. Then people can decide
how
THEY want to run it.

Tomb

Prev: Re: Alien PA Next: Re: Starship Basing Alternatives