Prev: Re: [FT] Heavy Beams - 4321 Next: Re: [FT] Heavy Beams - 4321

Re: Another possible way of looking at it was [ Re: Tin Cans versusDreadnoughts ]

From: "Robert W. Eldridge" <bob_eldridge@m...>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 14:58:48 -0500
Subject: Re: Another possible way of looking at it was [ Re: Tin Cans versusDreadnoughts ]

The only action between ironclad fleets was the Battle of Lissa in 1866.
The
Battle of Humaita was between an ironclad fleet on one side, and
fortifications on the other. The various actions of the
Russo-Japanese )Tsushima, Round Island, etc.) were fought with
pre-dreadnoughts, which are a very different thing. Obviously, the
author of
the "Honor Harrington" series agrees with you that the Age of Sail is a
good
model for starship combat. The ironclad model might be interesting also,
with very little standardization between ships and fairly small fleets,
where even minor powers could have a couple of very powerful ships (i.e.
the
Huascar historically). Fact is, I think almost any naval period can be a
good analogue for space combat. What really counts is how it's all
implemented.