Prev: Re: Tin Cans versus Dreadnoughts Next: Re: [DS] Infantry Base Question

Re: Tin Cans versus Dreadnoughts

From: Donald Hosford <Hosford.Donald@a...>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 00:30:47 -0500
Subject: Re: Tin Cans versus Dreadnoughts

I think that having these different models to choose from is good.
Helps to
give a fleet a "feel".	Then you can tweak it to make an interesting
fleet/nation.  Very cool.  By all means try to be as original as you
can.

 Just so long as we are not "all scifi is really the mid-to-late 20th
century with a veneer of scifi on top".  I had a "conversation" with one
promenent space game designer who thought this.  Really annoying...I'll
leave the identification of those two games and their designer to
others.

Basically I just don't feel like getting into a "...my widget defeats
your
gismo...ect". Round and round,ect."  Such games are useally overly
complex.

So in my opinion, using a "real world model" to base your sci-fi fleets
on,
is good, just remember -- we are playing a game, not modeling
reality...or
you might as well be playing a navel game.

Donald Hosford