Prev: Re: Tin Cans versus Dreadnoughts Next: RE: [DS] Infantry Base Question

RE: [DS] Infantry Base Question

From: "Casquilho, Daniel" <Daniel.Casquilho@d...>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 09:55:33 -0800
Subject: RE: [DS] Infantry Base Question

Tony,

	I was thinking in game rules and play reasons. In real life the
Platoon Leader does remain with the IFV and is part of the crew, well
at least in the US army. Based on the US Army Field Manual "MECHANIZED
INFANTRY PLATOON AND SQUAD (BRADLEY), FM7-7J" The Platoon Lt is in the
A Sections first Bradley. I have the web address if you are interested.
The document is quite an interesting read. It outlines tactics etc.

	Just to add a sci-fi view to the mix, the "The Aliens: Colonial
Marines Technical Manual" has a Platoon TO&E in the book. In looking
at the TO&E a Squad is made up of two 4-men elements and an APC with
the Squad Sgt. and APC Driver inside. So the Unit Leader is in the APC
with the Driver while the eight grunts are on the ground.

	If we assume (yes I know... :-) that the squad is a single unit
in Dirtside terms then the APC could be marked as the Unit leader and
the troop elements could be just that, grunts on the ground.

	Even the Movie followed the same set up roughly. The grunts
dismounted but the brave Lt Gorman stayed in the APC.

	So I was thinking, in my Platoon, I could say the Platoon
Leader remains in one of the APCs for example, dismounting the Unit's
Rifle Teams and GMS/L Teams etc. but I did not want to make a mistake
because I am new to the game. As we all know game rules and real life
are not the same thing in any way.

Just a Thought...

	Daniel