Prev: Re: FW: London Times Article Next: Re: 2nd best profit making illegal smuggling trade

2nd best profit making illegal smuggling trade

From: Glenn M Wilson <triphibious@j...>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 22:11:52 EST
Subject: 2nd best profit making illegal smuggling trade

From: "Wilson, Glenn M." <WilsonG@nima.mil>
To: "'Glenn Wilson Also (Fx)'" <dwarf_warrior@juno.com>,"'Glenn Wilson
too (SF)'" <Triphibious@juno.com>,"'Glenn (Hx)'",<warbeads@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 08:01:53 -0500

Scenario possibilities.

Be honest Beth, wouldn't you like to catch some animal/animal product
smugglers and do battle with them?  <grin>

Gracias.
Glenn M. Wilson, Jr.
NIMA SE Asia/Oceania Regional Analyst
Comm:  (314) 263-4670  FAX:  x-4577  DSN:  693-xxxx   red:  3165

"The nice thing about wargames are that lead soldiers don't leave lead
widows or lead orphans."

<snip>
> Subject:	2nd best profit making illegal smuggling trade

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/audiovideo/programmes/panorama/newsid_1
18
> [...]
>		worth one and half million pounds on the black
>		market.
>
>		Wong gained access to about 37 of the stolen
>		ploughshares. He offered two of them to
>		PacRim, an undercover business set up by the
>		US Fish and Wildlife Service.
>
>		US Federal Agent Ernest Mayer says, "the only
>		way to really address or organise the
>		smuggling, criminal rings that were smuggling
>		the animal in was to set up an undercover
>		business, a sting operation to catch them in
>		the act."
>
>		It was known as Operation Chameleon, and
>		Wong was their major target. After a long
>		investigation Wong was lured to a meeting
>		with PacRim and arrested as he stepped off
>		the plane in Mexico.
>
>		To date Operation
>		Chameleon has caught
>		26 animal smugglers and
>		traffickers from six
>		countries. All have been
>		successfully
>		prosecuted. But even
>		this huge operation has
>		failed to do much more than set the traffic
>		back for a while.
>
>		Losing battle
>
>		Ernest Mayer says: "There are many animal
>		species that are not going to survive, they're
>		going to go extinct so I think from that
>		standpoint we're losing."
>
>		Although there are international agreements to
>		protect these species, they carry little weight
>		in countries like Cameroon where illicit animal
>		dealing is a fact of life.
>
>		Paul Sullivan has
>		broken laws that
>		protect reptiles from
>		being poached and
>		traded to extinction.
>		He says "The trade has
>		benefits for hundreds
>		of people. I make a
>		living and lots of people
>		make a living from
>		something which is a
>		useless item to a
>		person in a third world
>		country."
>
>		Sullivan was sent to prison in California in
>		February 2000. He pleaded guilty to several
>		charges of illegally trafficking endangered
>		reptiles to the United States.
>
>		Reptiles in demand
>
>		In America, the legal trade in live reptiles has
>		increased by 2000 per cent in a mere nine
>		years. It is this demand for unsuitable pets
>		that helps fuel the illegal trafficking.
>
>		And that demand is still growing despite the
>		risks involved in keeping these animals, and the
>		risks to the environment.
>
>		Animals that are recovered cannot be returned
>		to the wild. They would probably die, or infect
>		other wildlife with their alien Western germs.
>		Essentially, they are biologically dead.
>

> Gracias.
> Glenn M. Wilson, Jr.
> NIMA SE Asia/Oceania Regional Analyst
> Comm:  (314) 263-4670  FAX:  x-4577  DSN:  693-xxxx	red:  3165
>
> "The nice thing about wargames are that lead soldiers don't leave lead

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

Prev: Re: FW: London Times Article Next: Re: 2nd best profit making illegal smuggling trade