Prev: Re: [FT] Heavy Beams - 4321 Next: Re: Quick question

Re: FW: London Times Article

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 15:40:47 +0000
Subject: Re: FW: London Times Article

>***
>Maybe just because I was hired originally as a cartographer by
>DMAAC/DMA/NIMA I think there are some fun implications for scenarios
>involving 'intentional errors' on the player's and figures maps.
Anybody
>else seen some use for these in a scenario?
>***
>
>Great article on two points!
>
>I can well imagine a riverine-transport force, on it's way to meet up
with
>an 'overland' group, finding itself without the last leg of the journey
due
>to the imaginary tributary. That's from a vac head who wasn't even
trying.

>The other thing was that I found interesting: The Times uses the word
>'wonky'. Obviously, colonial naivete on my part!

"Wonky" is a perfectly acceptable word, meaning bent, distorted or not
straight (in the geometric sense rather than the sexual-preference
one...)!
What does it mean to you (ex) colonials, anyway?  ;-)

>On the other hand, as I can see lots of 'life or death' situations
possible
>with several of these changes, my naivete is shocked that cartographers
>would do such things. It's one thing to alter a song recording...

IIRC, it was reported that the stellar cartographers for the Traveller
2300
starmap did the same thing to guard against other game publishers
ripping
off all their hard work - the map is (mostly) as accurate as they could
make it, but there are just a couple of spurious, fictional stars or
other
deliberate "errors" in there to catch the unwary copier and give their
lawyers the necessary ammunition....

Jon (GZG)