Prev: Re: GZG ECC IV Next: Re: (DS, SG) A Sort of Halfway idea

RE:[FMAS] PA

From: "Robert B Makowsky"<rmako@c...>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 15:12:10 GMT
Subject: RE:[FMAS] PA

Tom,

I agree with you that PA is the way to go if you are fighting in urban
terrain.
 However I like the idea that the infantry has some bolt holes and
places to
work from that are safer, thus the idea that PA cannot get through into
the
offices and smaller rooms etc.	Sort of like Tanks being kept out of
dense woods.

In reality you are more correct, make the holes big enough for them to
use PA
and go for it.

I guess I need to do some FMA in 2010 or so before (just before judging
by the
money being spent by the US Army) PA becomes the norm.

Bob

>Magic wrote:
> >Power Armor cannot go through
> >breaches unless they are truly large.
> >Power Armor can fit in the halls and
> >major doors but not through the doors into
> >the rooms and offices.  That would have
> >given the infantry somewhere to hide.
>
>1) PA is so useful, I'd make sure my breaches were designed for them.
>2) I can see limiting them in some halls, but in malls and the like
they'd

>be fine. I'm pretty sure they could move around my office given a
cement
>floor and high ceilings. Cubeville might be a tad difficult for them,
but
>they could force their way.
>3) As for walls, if the wall is drywall and lumber, I can see the PA
putting

>its fist through the wall and ripping down the majority of the wall in
short

>order.
>
>PA _should_ be used for this kind of fighting (along with small RC
robots
>with weapons). What it should also be is expensive. I point costed PA
at 4-1

>vs. normal infantry. That's probably fair (no one hit one with a HEAP
>grenade and I didn't give anyone IAVRs - Plasma guns would kill them
too).

>Chris comment about PA armour levels is fair two. I used 2d6, but I
should

>have used 2d8, 2d10 or 2d12, though the later is very heavy armour vs
d10
>small arms. They are fearsome in close combat.
>
>To model them as they are in SG2:
>Good armour, but they die relatively easily (d10 impact vs d12 armour
>typically - but rifle grenades are subsumed in fire actions), fast or
slow

>(6" or 12"), and with the same types of weapons as infantry. Resolves
>casualties immediately (on board medic). Horror in close combat (die
>doubling).
>
>So, how to do this in FMA?
>Die doubling is fine, as are movement rates. Base FMA move of 8" is
pretty

>fast... maybe should be 6" for normal figures. Resolves casualties
>immediately is pretty easy too. Armour might be beefed up a bit, but
the
>weapon should still have an okay chance to take one out. I'd guess 2d8
for