Prev: RE: GZGECC Fun Report Next: [semi-OT] a sensor-related post of sorts [Fwd: active s/c IDed as asteroid 2001 DO47!]

Re: FT-Needle beams

From: Charles Taylor <charles.taylor@c...>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 18:24:09 GMT
Subject: Re: FT-Needle beams

In message <6B3C0EEAB4FED3119F5F009027DC5E9EA9AE63@spacemsg3.jhuapl.edu>
	  "Izenberg, Noam" <Noam.Izenberg@jhuapl.edu> wrote:

> From Charles:
>
> > Multi-Arc Needle Beam
> > Well, so far there are people both for and against these - ignoring
PSB
> > issues - is there really a problem with allowing Needle Beams with
more
> > than 1 arc? for the right cost, of course.
>
> Sigh. No. My gut doesn't like the feel, but that's easily PSB'd away.
Truth
> of the matter is, multi arcs would go halfway to making the needle a
usable
> weapon. Expanding range capabilities to 24" would go the other half.
I'd
> much rather not have then "scalable" beyond 24", though (again, that's
the
> gut talking).
>
> Noam

Well, I originally came up with the 'classed' needle beam when I was
considering needle beam = laser, and was batting around the idea for an
alien race that exclusively used laser and optical technology (even was
thinking about giving them 'photonic' drives).

For normal use, Needle beams and heavy needle beams should suffice.

Charles