Prev: Re: [GZG ECC] Looking for a spaceship Next: Re: [FT] WotW (Finish EMP, Start Needle)

Re: [FT] WotW (Finish EMP, Start Needle)

From: Charles Taylor <charles.taylor@c...>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 19:52:12 GMT
Subject: Re: [FT] WotW (Finish EMP, Start Needle)

In message <6B3C0EEAB4FED3119F5F009027DC5E9EA9AE3D@spacemsg3.jhuapl.edu>
	  "Izenberg, Noam" <Noam.Izenberg@jhuapl.edu> wrote:

> As for EMP resolution, I don't think we really had any.
> It'd really be nice to come up with a decent direct fire EMP weapon,
but as
> of now there seem to be too many approaches. If anyone wants to ammend
the
> specific systems they have in the archives, or give me something they
think
> is a synthesis of some of the ideas, they should probably e-mail me
> directly.
>
> As for Needles, I responded to BIF's post a while ago, point by point,
but
> it must have gotten lost in transit.
>
> Beth asked regarding the HNB:
> > Why the need for two firecons to get extra range? I can't really
explain
> > it, but something isn't sitting right with me here.
>
> The HNB, in my opinion, needed a fraction more limitation than simply
the
> extra mass. An extra firecon seemed right. As with regular needle
beams,
> it's per terget, so if you had 2 HNB's you still ned only two dedicted
> firecons. Further playtesting could determine whether this limitation
was
> really necessary. It could easily be that the HNB balances at 4 Mass/2
> Firecons or 5 Mass/1 Firecon.

And, if you need it, PSB - needs the extra resolving power of an
additional firecon to lock on to a small target at that distance.
Hmm.. we _could_ extrapolate (we don't have to, but we could :-), thus:

Classed Needle Beam.
Needs 1 firecon dedicated to it. Roll 1 'needle dice' per class (1d6,
1-4: miss, 5: 1 damage point, 6: 1 damage point + target system hit, no
re-rolls, not affected by screens or armour). 2 or more
'system hit' results destroy the main drive, or get a normal beam
re-roll if attacking another system.
With more than one dedicated firecon, the CNB gains an additional 12 mu
of range per additional dedicated firecon, but loses 1 dice per
additional 12 mu of range.

Class	MASS	COST
1	2	6
2	5	15
3	11	33

above that the MASS is determined as double the MASS of the previous
Class, +1, cost is MASS x3.
This is the 1 arc version, if you're inclined to multi-arc needle
weapons (I have another post on this subject) then each extra arc should
increase the MASS by 25-33%.

> >(Charles [on phalon needles)) On second thoughts I think I'll go with
> Oerjan's suggestion -
>  >however, I have some questions: should only 1-arc Pulsars be
>  >configurable for Needle mode, if not, should a pulsar that is
configured
>  >for Needle mode be restricted to 1 fire arc (chosen from those of
the
>  >Pulsar), finally, can a Pulsar-N be used as a point defence system?
>
> I'd say you have to choose a single arc for the Needle. I'd allow
"class 1
> as PDS" fire for the Pusler N, since the gun is tuned to a very narrow
beam
> and not the wide barrage of most PDS fire.

Seems reasonable - might be a bit confusing though (Pulsar-C,M,L act as
normal PDS, Pulsar-N acts as 'Class 1 as PDS')

> For the SV Needle Pods, I favor the (T) version (Charles') but don't
relish
> the cost of one biomass for each shot. I'd say if you consume a
biomass you
> should get two needle dice vs. the chosen target.

Hmm... maybe - I worked out the effective 'MASS' and 'COST' of a pod by
comparing Lance Pods to Pulse Torpedos - but I didn't account for the
difference in armour penetrating capability.

> And stepping back to BIF's message from the 2nd & 24th...
>
> >1-Multi arc needle beams
>
> Don't like, but would want +2Mass/arc if we had to have them.
err... you may as well have another needle beam - it costs the same (or
was this intentional :-).

> > 2-heavy needle beams (as on noam`s site, with the double dammage
ablities)
> > I personally don`t like a needle beam that can do double hits at
once. But
> > each to their own (if it works for him, OK).
>
> The HNB can only target a single system at close range.the possibility
of
> double hits (only on double 6) is reasonable due to the increased
power of
> the beam. And even so that only affects systems which take 2 hits to
> destroy, like Main Drive.
>
> > 3-Long range needle beams
> The HNB is also basically a long range NB.
>
> > 4-Multi arc long range needle beams
> Dislike even more than 1)
>
> >5-Needle beam MT missiles
> Perhaps a variant of the SV Needle pod. Fired as amissile, but
generates 2
> or 3 needle dice vs target system on impact.

Hmm... but there already exists the MT Needle Missile.