Prev: Re: Wartime references for Aliens Next: Re: Wartime references for Aliens

Re: Wartime references for Aliens

From: Allan Goodall <awg@s...>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 17:44:10 -0500
Subject: Re: Wartime references for Aliens

On Tue, 27 Feb 2001 10:03:16 -0800, "Eli Arndt"
<emu2020@wattosjunkyard.com>
wrote:

> now I know none of these is very cool in an enlightened social sense,
but
> they are present in every war.

They are present in every war because every army wants to encourage the
"dehumanizing" of the enemy. This is one of the reasons that films like
"Stalingrad", "Das Boot" and "Saving Private Ryan" have been so
successful: in
the end, both sides of every conflict are just people, and the tragedy
of that
makes for compelling drama (note: "Enemy At the Gates", about dueling
snipers
in Stalingrad, opened at the Berlin Film Festival earlier this month and
opens
in North America in a couple of weeks).

So, yes, this will keep happening. You want your troops thinking of the
enemy
as evil, nasty, awful. It's easier to kill them that way (this is also
why
soldiers can often make bad peacekeepers).

> Has anyone given any thought to what the aliens and governments might
be
> called in the Tufflyverse?

Do you want the PG version or the R or X rated version? *L* In war the
names
that are used are often not suitable for children's ears! *L*

>Would Kr'Vak be called "Kilo-Victor" and referred to as "Victor"

Possibly. I think this is where "Charlie" came from for Viet Cong,
right? (As
in Victor Charlie?) I think they might be called "Vics" for short. Maybe
"Kravs", which can get corrupted to "Kraps". Maybe "Vaks".

>Would we just refer to the Phalons as "Dickies"
> or worse

*L* I think "snails", "slugs", or "dicks". I don't see "dickies"... it's
too
comical.

Allan Goodall		       awg@sympatico.ca

"Now, see, if you combine different colours of light,
 you get white! Try that with Play-Doh and you get
 brown! How come?" - Alan Moore & Kevin Nolan,

Prev: Re: Wartime references for Aliens Next: Re: Wartime references for Aliens