Prev: Re: [FT] Ship repair Next: Re: FMAS names

[SG2] Bad things happen...

From: Frits Kuijlman <frits@p...>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 12:01:50 +0100
Subject: [SG2] Bad things happen...

We don't play SG2 much at our club, so last saturday we decided to try
it out
with several people who had played it maybe once or twice.

Basic setup: plonk a lot of terrain on a table and see what happens.
Well, I saw alright:-)

Defender had the high ground with a command squad, 2 normal squads and a
PA
squad. He also had a small walker. All were vet as he seemed to be
seriously
outnumbered (yeah, right).
Attacker(me) had 1 command squad(vet) and four regular squads.
As my minis were skeletal terminators(from legions of steel) we decided
didn't have morale problems.

My squads had 1 support weapon each. This hurts a bit. His normal squads
had
2 support weapons each. This hurt more:-)

We didn't have a real scenario except for the attacker having to wipe
the table clean of the defenders.

Well, I wasn't thinking about artillery, but he definately was, so in
the first
round he put some counters down, and in the second round 4 grenades
landed
in the midddle of one of my squads. The squad had cover in a river bed,
except
it could be seen from the only vantage point on the table. Sigh:-)

>From then on we kept to cover even more so we didn't have that much
problems
with artillery anymore, except for once. At that time I had fewer groups
than
he had, so with his last activation he asked for artillery, and the next
round
it arrived with his first activation. It was on target, so SPLAT! After
that
his PA squad that was nearby close assaulted the remains, so it was game
over.

We did manage to do some things right: we close assaulted one of his
squads,
so it ran away and lost a morale rating. Also, his walker walked in on
one of
our squads and fired but missed us completely. The next activation the
squad
fired with everything including the grenade launcher and the walker went
kablooey!

Strange situation. At one point he had a squad in the forest edge on one
side
of a river while I was advancing through the forest on the other side of
the
river. When I reached the forest edge I fired on him. After that he
fired on
me. Both didn't have much effect. The next activation I fired again and
retreated into the forest. After that he retreated as well and asked for
artillery. The result was the SPLAT! above.
How would people handle this situation, especially without artillery
support
available? This seems very difficult as you can't sneek up on somebody,
and once you see each other, both can fire at short range. Close
assaulting
is also very unhealthy and not something you would do, except for
desperate
situations.

A few questions: how do people use artillery support in SG2 games, and
how much
do you use? It seemed to have a big impact, especially with multiple
rounds.

About close assaults. In the beginning it says that if the enemy runs
away,
take the position and follow up the next activation. However, this
paragraph
also references the end of the section where it says you can follow up
the same
activation instead of occupying the position. It seems that if you don't
folowup the same activation the enemy has the chance to get away
relatively
unscathed.

We also had loads of cover on the table. The result was that once you
could
fire on something, most of the time it was within the first range band,
which
resulted in loads of damage most of the time. How much cover do people
put
on the table most of the time?

I also sort of suspected some of the participants to use some of the
more
extreme things from the rules, just so the conclusion from this game
would be
that the rules suck. There are some people at our club who seem to have
problems with every ruleset they didn't invent themselves.

Cheers,
	Frits

--
Frits Kuijlman			   F.Kuijlman@{its,cs,twi}.tudelft.nl

Prev: Re: [FT] Ship repair Next: Re: FMAS names