Prev: [GZG ECC] Ride from Philly Next: Re: Re: Childish things was Re: That Age Thing

Re: Odd Alarishi sovereignities [was Re: [OT]: GROPOS]

From: Charles Taylor <charles.taylor@c...>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 18:39:38 GMT
Subject: Re: Odd Alarishi sovereignities [was Re: [OT]: GROPOS]

In message <004401c09cea$466cf540$92ee1a3f@pavilion>
	  "Laserlight" <laserlight@quixnet.net> wrote:

> > [Alarishi Empire]
> > >And you have to wonder about the guy who wants to build, not a
> Ringworld, but
> > >a Mobius-loop-world....
>
> Karl suggested a Klein bottle world, but the architect was adamant
> that he didn't want anyone to put a pressure curtain in the "neck" and
> turn it into a de facto two-surfaced body.  Said a Mobius strip had
> more "purity".  He's not planning on using antimatter power, just the
> usual zero-point-energy generators, so he's liable to get someone to
> invest in it (unless that chap who's making noise about "the dangers
> of thinning out the quantum foam" starts getting an audience.  Given
> the proximity of New LA, that's a risk to his financing).
>

> Aaron Teske:
> > Hmm, if you can either move the twist or else put everything on a
> moving
> > road (a la "The Roads Must Roll" by Heinlein) then you won't need
> shadow
> > squares.  On the other hand, that'll certainly lend new meaning to
> locking
> > things down at night, especially if you're relying on the rotation
> of the
> > "world" to simulate gravity....
>
> It won't have anything like the scale of the original ringworld.
> He'll put it in orbit fairly close to the sun--about 1/2 AU so it gets
> about as much insolation as Mars, although it'll be a lot more IR and
> less UV than what Mars gets, of course--and add an artificial light
> source that bobs back and forth through the loop.   Artificial gravity
> on the loop itself, of course.  That may be a problem because most
> Alarishi feel more comfortable with a few meters of rock between them
> and the sky, but I'm sure he'll be able to find a few idiots, ah,
> experimental pioneers who are willing to rely on artificial gee to
> keep their air on.

Sounds like a fun idea :-)

On the subject - I recently heard about what could only be described as
a bunch of neo-millenialists - who had 'deciphered' the Bible and
'proved' that Revelations was not far off - in fact its already
happening (oh, and the second coming - we seem to have missed it!) - one
of the event they predict is the UN taking over the world sometime in
the next 2 months.

Well, that got me thinking - drop into the Tuffleyverse a similar group
- who figure that recent events (ie. the Xeno wars, etc.) presage the
coming of Jugment Day - and who are out to gain converts - bay any means
necessary - stir a bit :-)

There's a bunch of Knight Templer in the AE - they may either support
this group, or, remember how they were accused of heresy and wiped out
- they could get _very_ worried!

Prev: [GZG ECC] Ride from Philly Next: Re: Re: Childish things was Re: That Age Thing