Prev: Re: Childish things was Re: That Age Thing Next: Re: Re: Childish things was Re: That Age Thing

Re: Re:Childish things was Re: That Age Thing- bus spotters and bashers

From: "Robin Paul" <Robin.Paul@t...>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 00:39:07 -0000
Subject: Re: Re:Childish things was Re: That Age Thing- bus spotters and bashers

----- Original Message -----
From: Ground Zero Games <jon@gzg.com>
snip
> Generally, a true "Trainspotter"  not only spots trains, but writes
down
> the locomotive numbers in a little notebook.... but the ones that
REALLY
> scare me are the bus spotters....
>
> Jon (GZG)

A kid in the year below me at school was a fanatical bus-spotter, and in
addition to his notebooks full of registration numbers had a shed in his
garden set up with a steering wheel and driver's seat.	He would sit in
there in a driver's uniform, playing commercial recordings of bus
engines
(!) and fantasizing about driving a Routemaster round Dorset, or some
such
oddness.

It must have been something in the water- one of my classmates had a
subscription to a magazine called "Tug-Lovers Digest".

A variant of the trainspotter is the "basher" - these worthies attempt
travel from A to B behind a single specific type of locomotive.  As one
who
has been trapped on a slow train from Dingwall with a coach-load of
them, I
can confirm that A is cheering, and B is out of luck.  Three hours of
basher
lyricism ("you always dream that one day you'll ride to Chingford behind
Type 37, and now it's gone forever...") alternating with basher humour
(just
as you'd imagine it) is not an experience I'd care to repeat.

Rob Paul

Prev: Re: Childish things was Re: That Age Thing Next: Re: Re: Childish things was Re: That Age Thing