Prev: Re: FT-Weapon idea for wave gun Next: Re: That Age Thing AND FMAS names

Re: FT-Weapon idea for wave gun

From: Richard and Emily Bell <rlbell@s...>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 22:37:07 -0500
Subject: Re: FT-Weapon idea for wave gun

Laserlight wrote:

> BIF
> > Snip wave cruiser bit-
> > I see wave guns on capitol ships as a very good way to take out
> multipul
> > small suicide type ships that some people use to take out large
> capitols
> > with overwhelming numbers. Can`t think whom to I`m refering <G>.
>
> Um, putting a wave gun on a capital is a good way to take out
> everything else on your own capital for the turns in which it can't
> fire anything except the WG.

The wavegun penalizes placing it on ships that logically have enough
power to fire it.  Introduce a power rating.  Each ship produces energy
equivalent to half the mass of its drives (excluding FTL), screens, and
weapons (excluding additional mass for extra arcs).  The wavegun (Nova
Cannon) requires energy equivalent to three times their mass to fire.
Energy is built up when the charging vessel forgoes using power to
accelerate, fire weapons, or power shields.

Now there is a severe penalty for installing a BFG in a small ship
barely large enough to enclose one, and really big ships are not left
floating helplessly while employing them.  The restrictive rules are
easily explained in the FT/MT context of a max size of 100 mass, but
with ships able to be much larger indeed, we need something to account

Prev: Re: FT-Weapon idea for wave gun Next: Re: That Age Thing AND FMAS names