Prev: Re: Some more comments to the WeapDef archive Next: Re: That Age Thing was: Re: Pendraken 10mm SST Mini Pix!

Re: General EMP Thoughts

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 21:13:43 +0100
Subject: Re: General EMP Thoughts

Charles Taylor wrote:

>>>1) They should affect a set number of systems - not a ship-wide
>>>blanket. This is for balance.
>>
>>The ship-wide blanket effect of the MTM-EMP (and its proposed
>>direct-fire relatives) is one of the very few FT game mechanisms (as
>>opposed to arbitrary scenario restrictions or tournament rules) which
>>*can* reduce this particular imbalance, [ie. the one between few big
>>and many small ships] which is why I'm not prepared to accept
>>Schoon's first point for all EMP weapons.
>
>Hmm... good point, so we could balance a 'blanket threshold' weapon
>against an 'average sized' ship, this would make it over expensive vs.
>smaller ships (but if you _must_ use a sledgehammer to crack a >nut...
:-), and underpriced vs. larger ships - which _could_ be an >incentive
to create fleets with a proper distribution of ship sizes - if we
>handle it right.

Exactly. *If* we can handle it right, and also *if* we can agree on
what is a "proper distribution of ship sizes :-/ Unfortunately those
two are pretty big "if"s <sigh>

Later,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.

Prev: Re: Some more comments to the WeapDef archive Next: Re: That Age Thing was: Re: Pendraken 10mm SST Mini Pix!