Prev: Re: [FT] WotW 2: EMP Weapons Next: Re: General EMP Thoughts

Re: [FT] WotW 2: EMP Weapons

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 20:43:32 +0100
Subject: Re: [FT] WotW 2: EMP Weapons

Schoon wrote in reply to stranger:

>>2.  If an EMP weapon fails a threshold check, it should immediatly
>>apply its EMP area effect.  This makes EMP weapons very >>dangerous
to carry, and could explain their rarity.  If an automatic >>detonation
is too much to swallow, give it a chance to detonate, >>using some sort
of mechanic like the power core machanic.  Each >>turn the EMP weapons
is "down" there is a chance that it will go off, >>subjecting the ship,
and anyone else in the area to those affects.  >>Gotta keep those EMP
weapons securly shielded and well-taken >>care of.

>I like this alot. If you combine this effect with a fairly hefty MASS
>(which prevent people from making EMP "torpedo boats"), then I'm
>beginning to like it.

Realistically speaking, the chance of an EMP weapon accidentally going
off when damaged is no larger than that of a normal weapon accidentally
going off when damaged. I can see that happen in ESU ships or those of
very minor powers (based on experience with the... very rudimentary
security features of some of today's Russian and ex-Soviet equipment),
but not with equipment from the other major powers.

OK, if you want to inflict 6d6 of hull damage on your own ship whenever
you lose an SMR (or SM salvo in a magazine) to a threshold check by all
means go for it... but don't expect anyone else to do it <shrug>

Regards,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.

Prev: Re: [FT] WotW 2: EMP Weapons Next: Re: General EMP Thoughts