Prev: RE: More Thrust and FB Ships Next: Re: [FT] WotW 2: EMP Weapons

[FT]-escort ships

From: "Bif Smith" <bif@b...>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 20:55:15 -0000
Subject: [FT]-escort ships

I was reading through some web sights about battleships, and was reading
about american battleship designs and intended battleships in WW2. The
interesting thing was the fact the missui (I cannot spell) and her
sisters
were designed not as pure battleships (which they were anyway), but as
escort battleships for the carriers. A 50 THOUSAND TON ESCORT!! The
battleships that were intended (or proposed) to be built, in answer to
the 2
japanise monster BB`s (yamato, musashi) were going to be built with 4
tripple turrets with 18" guns (ouch). These ships were going to be
proper
BB`s in the american sence, with a speed of only 27 knotts. The high
speed
of the missuri and her sisters (32+ knotts) gives a clue to the fact
they
probably were designed primarally as carrier escorts.

Anyway, the FT question I have is what is the biggest escort designed
ship
that people out there have used? I know there are designs for BC sized
escorts, and I have used CH sized escort ships, but has anybody designed
BBE, or even SDE ships?

BIF
"yorkshire born,yorkshire bred,
strong in arms, thick in head"

Prev: RE: More Thrust and FB Ships Next: Re: [FT] WotW 2: EMP Weapons