Prev: Re: FMAS names Next: Re: FMAS names

Re: [FT] WotW 2: EMP Weapons

From: Charles Taylor <charles.taylor@c...>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 14:05:44 GMT
Subject: Re: [FT] WotW 2: EMP Weapons

In message <200102170925.KAA20561@d1o901.telia.com>
	  "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@telia.com> wrote:

> >>[snip - I've already discussed this with Charles both on- and
> off-list,
> >>though it was some time ago]
> >
> >Sometime I'm going to have to dig that thread out of the archives, as
> >my copy got eaten by my hard drive :-(
>
> At least one of the posts re-posted privately.

Got it, thanks!

> >You know, it may be my memory playing up - but I'm sure someone >else
> raised that point, not me?
>
> Hm? It came either from one of your posts or from the weapon archive
> web page... if the latter it *could* have been Noam, but I don't think
> so. Probably your memory playing up ;-)

Probably, happens all the time :-(

> >>Argh. First he balances the SM-EMP against the *old* MTM-EMP, >>then
> he wants to make the MTM-EMP weaker... <g>
> >
> >Actually this gives a better chance of _some_ effect (on a 2+ rather
> >than a 3+), but a reduced chance of the maximum effect (Threshold
> >(4+) on a 6, rather than a 5-6) - its just one of my personal foibles
> I >guess :-)
>
> The average effect is reduced, unless the target has level-2 screens
in
> which it remains unchanged :-/

I think I was objecting to the fact that, using the MT EMP Missile table
the missile either had no effect or did a threshold (5+) or a threshold
(4+). I just felt that there should be some chance of a 'glancing blow'
threshold (6).

> >>See my previous comments about how
>
> Hm. Wonder what I had planned to write here :-/
>
> [On Ion Cannon]
>
> >>As long as you only use it in Star Wars-universe battles, fine. In
an
> >>"open-tech" setting this is just as unbalancing as the kinetic
> shields,
> >>and for much the same reasons (see Noam's web page if you >>haven't
> already).
> >
> >Bearing in mind the only Ion Cannon seen fired in the films was a
> >planet-based installation - although various technical references of
> >variable authenticity have them mounted on capital(?) ships as well.
>
> The B-wing fighters have ion cannon as well, and there are several
> shots of B-wings firing in RotJ. 'Course, those ion cannon are much
> smaller than the ground installation on Hoth so their impact is very
> much smaller - you never see a B-wing disable a Star Destroyer with a
> single shot ;-)
>
> Regards,
>
> Oerjan Ohlson
> oerjan.ohlson@telia.com
>
> "Life is like a sewer.
>   What you get out of it, depends on what you put into it."
> - Hen3ry

Hmm.. but are the B-wings firing something that looks like the Hoth Ion
Cannon blast, or does someone say 'firing ion cannon' as they fire? I've
learned not to trust these various tech write ups over the years - but
they are still fun to read :-)

Hmm... back on track - What are everyone's views on the concept of EMP
or Ion Cannon Fighters ? :-)

Prev: Re: FMAS names Next: Re: FMAS names