Prev: Re: [FT] WotW 2: EMP Weapons Next: Re: Re-Reenforced hulls

Re: [FT] WotW 2: EMP Weapons

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 09:17:24 +0100
Subject: Re: [FT] WotW 2: EMP Weapons

Charles Taylor wrote:

>>>EMP Missile Salvoes (EMP-SM)
>>
>>[snip - I've already discussed this with Charles both on- and
off-list,
>>though it was some time ago]
>
>Sometime I'm going to have to dig that thread out of the archives, as
>my copy got eaten by my hard drive :-(

At least one of the posts re-posted privately.

>>>We need to decide whether Phalon Vapour shrouds have the effect
>>>of level-2 screens against these or not, the PSB (water/ice mist)
>>>would seem to imply not, but it might be better if they did work.
>
>You know, it may be my memory playing up - but I'm sure someone >else
raised that point, not me?

Hm? It came either from one of your posts or from the weapon archive
web page... if the latter it *could* have been Noam, but I don't think
so. Probably your memory playing up ;-)

>>>On the subject, I'm not totally happy with the EMP missile in More
>>>Thrust, how about this revision?
>>>
>>>Roll 1d6 - target screen level (as in MT, p.3)
> >>
>>>1 or less = No effect
>>>2-3 = Roll threshold for everything, KO on roll of 6
>>>4-5 = Roll threshold for everything, KO on roll of 5+
>>>6 = roll threshold for everything, KO on roll of 4+
>>
>>Argh. First he balances the SM-EMP against the *old* MTM-EMP, >>then
he wants to make the MTM-EMP weaker... <g>

>Actually this gives a better chance of _some_ effect (on a 2+ rather
>than a 3+), but a reduced chance of the maximum effect (Threshold
>(4+) on a 6, rather than a 5-6) - its just one of my personal foibles
I >guess :-)

The average effect is reduced, unless the target has level-2 screens in
which it remains unchanged :-/

>>>Some general thoughts on 'EMP' class weapons.

>>>I think the only reasonable way to attempt to balance 'Blanket
>>>Threshold weapons' (like the MT EMP Missile) is to balance them
>>>against Capital Ships (say an 'average' 200 or more MASS SDN) -
>>>which is probably what they are likely to be fired at anyway :-).
>>
>>See my previous comments about how

Hm. Wonder what I had planned to write here :-/

[On Ion Cannon]

>>As long as you only use it in Star Wars-universe battles, fine. In an
>>"open-tech" setting this is just as unbalancing as the kinetic
shields,
>>and for much the same reasons (see Noam's web page if you >>haven't
already).

>Bearing in mind the only Ion Cannon seen fired in the films was a
>planet-based installation - although various technical references of
>variable authenticity have them mounted on capital(?) ships as well.

The B-wing fighters have ion cannon as well, and there are several
shots of B-wings firing in RotJ. 'Course, those ion cannon are much
smaller than the ground installation on Hoth so their impact is very
much smaller - you never see a B-wing disable a Star Destroyer with a
single shot ;-)

Regards,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.

Prev: Re: [FT] WotW 2: EMP Weapons Next: Re: Re-Reenforced hulls