Prev: RE: Re;Re-Reenforced hulls Next: Re: [OT]Back on the subject of Web pages

Re: [OT]Back on the subject of Web pages

From: Tony Francis <tony.francis@k...>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 16:53:10 +0000
Subject: Re: [OT]Back on the subject of Web pages

Jeremey Claridge wrote:

> Well someone did mention that Jon dosen't have an official GZG web
page
> but after having just purchased a web domain for myself I was amazed
> see how many domain names have been bought for the sole purpose
> of making businesses pay to be able to represent themselves on the
web.

> www.gzg.co.uk will cost Jon £4,500 since it has already been reserved
by
> a domain name buying company called Name-Shop!

Jon has already reserved www.gzg.com (although there's nothing there
yet). Looks like that was a shrewd move !

I read somewhere that all two- and three-letter URLs have already gone,
and all URLs on the new domains (.tv etc) had to be three letters or
more. I suspect that the price tag attached to www.gzg.co.uk is more to
do with its rarity value (since there are no three letter URLs left)
rather than any attempt to fleece Jon personally.

Tony

Tony Francis
Senior Software Engineer

Prev: RE: Re;Re-Reenforced hulls Next: Re: [OT]Back on the subject of Web pages