Prev: RE: [FT] UNSC DD (was: One-shot Pulse Torpedos -- any playtested stats?) Next: RE: [FT] UNSC DD

RE: [FT] WotW 2: EMP Weapons

From: "Bell, Brian K (Contractor)" <Brian.Bell@d...>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 08:04:37 -0500
Subject: RE: [FT] WotW 2: EMP Weapons

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Beth Fulton [SMTP:beth.fulton@marine.csiro.au]
> Sent: Tuesday, February 13, 2001 6:02 PM
> To:	gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu
> Subject:	RE: [FT] WotW 2: EMP Weapons
>
> G'day,
>
> Karl suggested
>  >Attacker nominates three target
>  >systems, numbering them 1, 2, 3
>  >Defender nominates 3 system (4,5,6).
>  >Throw a die to see which one is
>  >hit.
>
> Yep I like that one too!

[Bri] This is OK if you have knowledge of your opponents ship. But if
you
are working against a custom design and you do not know what systems it
has,
how do you designate what systems to have checked?

> Charles commented
>  >although that could slow thing down
>  >if your checking a large number of
>  >systems (suggest - make sure these
>  >cannot affect too many systems :-)
>
> I think 3 or so was about the number of hits that had been mentioned
which

> isn't a problem, just roll 3 dice. If more than one happens to be the
> value
> then roll for that system twice or whatever (assuming the first etc
rolls
> aren't enough). Occasionally you'll get wasted hits as the first one
is
> effective but if the SG/DS players can put up with this then I think
the
> FT
> players can too ;)

[Bri] Speed of play is one of the reasons I suggested a limited number
of
threshold checks rather than a ship-wide check.

> Dean wrote:
>  >Sounds interesting but you would
>  >have to almost write down or mark each
>  >target system to prevent problems
>  >(I said a 4 was the FTL not the screen,
>  >etc)
>
> The only time that would be a problem I guess would be if a ship fired
> lot of them simultaneously and the players wanted to pick different
sets
> of
> systems each time. What to do in that situation probably requires some

> strong handed wording of the rules or a little more thought.

[Bri] Would not "strong handed wording" bring us back to the list you
did
not like?

>  >I do suggest that someone run some
>  >games with these mechanics to compare
>  >them.  They may seem good or bad on
>  >paper but how they work during a game
>  >may differ.
>
> Best idea yet!

[Bri] Yea, verily, yea.

> Cheers
>
> Beth
-----End Original Message-----

My comment, above, marked by [Bri]

---
Brian Bell
bkb@beol.net
http://www.ftsr.org

Prev: RE: [FT] UNSC DD (was: One-shot Pulse Torpedos -- any playtested stats?) Next: RE: [FT] UNSC DD