Prev: RE: (OT) What I love to hate was Re: [OT] Mini Pictures Next: Re: (OT) What I love to hate was Re: [OT] Mini Pictures

Re: [FT] One-shot Pulse Torpedos

From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@q...>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 19:36:57 -0800
Subject: Re: [FT] One-shot Pulse Torpedos

Charles Taylor said
> Hmm... 3x 1-shot, 1 arc pulse torpedo - hmm.. if we assume that in
an
> average battle, a 1 arc pulse torp will be fired 4 times (I think
I'm
> being optomistic, the way I steer), then 1 shot is 1/4
effectiveness,

> so, MASS of 3x 1 shot = 3 x 1 = 3 MASS (COST 9)
>
> But thats a very rough guess :-)

I have no idea how often you can get shots in, I'd say it would vary
with the size of the ships--and something that's balanced for a
Komarov won't necessarily be balanced for an ash Shaulah strikeboat.

But if they can fire simultaneously, they're worth more than the
equivalent mass of regular PTorp:
a) they can do more damage at once, increasing the likelihood and
severity of thresholds
b) they only need one turn in range & arc, not three
c) you can get all your hits in before you start taking thresholds and
lose them.

Note that I always buy SMR, not SML+magazine, for the same reasons.  I
think SM magazine loads should be 1 mass (2 for ER) to make them more
balanced vs SMR.  The distinction is not *quite* as great with PTorp
because you're not trying to overload the target's PDS.