Prev: Re: RE-MT missiles question Next: Re: [FT] WotW 2: EMP Weapons

Re: [FT] WotW 2: EMP Weapons

From: Beth Fulton <beth.fulton@m...>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 12:04:38 +1100
Subject: Re: [FT] WotW 2: EMP Weapons

G'day guys,

Charles wrote:
 >However, I have a third option:
 >
 >This 'virtual damage' is counted of
 >_but_not_marked_off_ as usual, and
 >effectively exists only to determine
 >if threshold checks should occur.
 >The threshold level remains unaltered
 >for any further checks due either
 >to damage or further EMP attacks.
 >
 >EMP attacjs are non-cumulative unless
 >they are part of the same attack
 >sequence...

I like the sound of it, though I haven't had chance to push and shove
the
idea much yet.

Brendan wrote:
 >There's a problem once you get close
 >to a threshold, as your example points
 >out. Over 2-3 turns, you only hit this
 >ship with EMP & target your real
 >guns against another ship. After 3-4 thresholds,
 >there won't be any systems
 >left on the ship.

But isn't this a problem with many of the EMP weapons being held up? OK
there are the few which specify how many systems are effected, but then
you
come down to deciding which systems they are. Maybe a solution is to let

the firer designate the type of system being targetted (i.e. before roll

designate whether your attempting to knock out guns/PDS/screens etc). If

they get more EMP hits than needed they waste the difference, if they
get
less then needed to attack all then either roll or make declarations be
more specific (i.e. for CT just saying guns would be enough, but for BB
maybe specify class 3 guns or something). Just a thought.

I think its what can make EMP potentially very unbalancing as it can
knock
out so many weapons all at once. This doesn't mean you can't have them
its
just going to be expensive I'd reckon.

Cheers

Beth

----
----
Elizabeth Fulton
c/o CSIRO Division of Marine Research
GPO Box 1538
HOBART
TASMANIA 7001
AUSTRALIA
Phone (03) 6232 5018 International +61 3 6232 5018
Fax 03 6232 5053 International +61 3 6232 5053

Prev: Re: RE-MT missiles question Next: Re: [FT] WotW 2: EMP Weapons