Prev: Re: [FT] BFG Conversion Notes Next: Re: More Thrust

Re: [FT] BFG Conversion Notes

From: "stranger" <stranger@c...>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 09:37:35 -0500
Subject: Re: [FT] BFG Conversion Notes

> > Very difficult to balance this one. *Extremely* powerful against
> unscreened targets due to its very high average damage at long range,
> similar to B3s against level-1 screens, and virtually powerless
against
> level-2 screens - this would be the weapon of choice to destroy enemy
> escorts, not the battleship-killer the BFG Lance is.

I agree.  I never quite saw the BFG Lance as  a BB killer though, unless
employed in numbers and as the follow up for a 1-2 punch.  Now, the
Eldar
Lance is another story.....and I think the EFSB HB works for that one.

The question is, How do you get essentially a heavy beam type weapon,
that
is affected by shields and unaffected by armor that does consitent
damage
all along its range?

Perhaps a modified v2 Lance.  Does 1d3 damage, hit based on range bands,
shields add +1 per level to hit chance:

0-6 1+
6-12 2+
12-18 3+
18-24 4+
24-30 5+
31-36 6+

So that to hit a level one shielded ship at range 13 would require a 4+
on
the dice.  This weapon should also only lose the first DP from armor,
and
the remaining penetrates to HULL.

Comments?

> Also, this weapon hits unscreened targets automatically at *all*
> ranges. The "note of caution" above applies in triplicate to this
> version.
>
> However, all range bands *don't* have the same weights.

I agree.  Waht weight did you assign to each band?

Prev: Re: [FT] BFG Conversion Notes Next: Re: More Thrust