Prev: Re: [FT] BFG Conversion Notes Next: Re: [FT] Weapon of the Week - AM-SM

RE: [FT] Weapon of the Week - AM-SM

From: Charles Taylor <charles.taylor@c...>
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 19:02:38 GMT
Subject: RE: [FT] Weapon of the Week - AM-SM

In message <B18DDC5F1158D311A66900805FD47181C89D71@VSTASV1>
	  "Robertson, Brendan" <Brendan.Robertson@dva.gov.au> wrote:

> With SML salvoes, we're not limited to making them 6 actual missiles
to be
> shot down.  At Mass 19 for a single salvo, I'd rather take a Wavegun.

Err... IIRC, the 19 MASS was for a PBL-6 with its range reduced to 24mu,
I hadn't yet made any attempt to factor in the fact that a PBL can be
used unlimited times (but no more than 1/2 turns), while an SML can only
be used a limited number of times (but _can_ be used on successive
turns) - because I'm not sure how to!

> How about simplifying the mechanics down.
>
> 3 mass AM-SM (AMSaM) salvo = 2 die Plasmabolt, 24" range.
> Defence resolution is resolved as normal against the Plasmabolt.
>
> PSB: Area detonation is harder to target, as the missiles aren't using
> terminal manoeuvres for a hull contact detonation.

Seems reasonable to me, want to think about the damage though, hmm...

Example (very contrived & rough):

A ship with, oh (leafs through FB1), say 4 PDS, escorted by a CE with 3
PDS is attacked by two salvos -

All PDS are used (4 vs. 1, 3 vs. other), killing an average of 5.6
missiles, (3.2 on first, 2.4 on second).

On average, 3.5 missiles per salvo are on target, from the first salvo,
on average .3 of a missile gets through, from second, 1.1 gets through.
Ship takes 1.4 d6 damage

Same ships are attacked by PBL-2, (same as your AM-SM)
All PDS fire, removing an average of 1.67 (approx) d6s, so only 0.33 d6
reach the target - but both ships are hit - oh, make it .67 d6.

So, _in_this_example_ your AM-SM is about as effective as ONE standard
range SM.

Not that I am _not_ taking into account a lot of things - extra ships in
the area would both increase (more targets to damage) and reduce (more
PDS systems) the effectiveness of the AM-SM, also, some Alien PDS
equivalents are more effective. Finally, I did not account for screens
(which reduce the AM-SMs effectiveness - if we treat them _exactly_ like
PBLs)

On the whole, your version looks good, but I'd either reduce the MASS
per salvo to 2 (which would allow for extended range AM-SMs), or
increase the yield to 3 plasma dice.

> This becomes slightly more efficient while the ammo holds out &
reduces new
> rule mechanics to be learned & still fits within the standard magazine
> spaces.

Agree - I'd say, for magazine use, treat them just like other SMs, while
for effect treat them _just_ like plasma bolts.

So, does everyone else agree? - can we tick the first one off the list?
or am I just a bit premature :-)